Chapter 49

Not two days after Shang Ming left, the strawberry that Shang Jin had carefully nurtured finally began to bud.

It was a sunny day when Shang Jin opened his eyes. Coming down from bed, he walked over to the windowsill while squeezing out his toothpaste. He effortlessly moved the wide leaf at the top and several small flower buds that had been hidden in the shadows peeked their heads out. A joy coursed through Shang Jin's heart. He set the toothbrush aside and looked under each leaf. Unfortunately, this strawberry plant only had these several flower buds.

Shang Jin walked quickly to the sink and finished washing quickly. He took the mobile phone and shot the first buds that the strawberry seedling had sprouted.

"What are you doing?" Ye Zhou appeared behind him. His pot of strawberry seedling had leaves so large that it almost completely covered the ten-centimeter pot. "I say, I seemed to have forgotten something these two days. It should be to change its pot."

"I have an extra pot. I put it under the table, and there's still soil inside." On the day Shang Jin had transplanted his strawberry plant, he'd wanted to change Ye Zhou's strawberry seeding together, but thought that when Ye Zhou had given him the strawberry, he'd said it was a competition. It wouldn't be good to intervene. However, when he'd bought a pot, he'd also bought one more for Ye Zhou. Worried that Ye Zhou would feel burdened, Shang Jin said, "Buy one get one free, don't waste it."

Ye Zhou chuckled and didn't expose him. "Then that's one thing off my plate."

"My strawberry grew flower buds."

"What?" Ye Zhou half-squatted by the windowsill and looked at Shang Jin's strawberry seedling. Sure enough, there were several small flower buds under the leaves. After looking, Ye Zhou hurriedly flipped through his own pot, but beside the plump leaves, he wasn't able to see any signs of flower buds growing. Ye Zhou began to self-reflect. Indeed, his concern for the strawberry seedling was too low. Although the strawberry seedling was growing vigorously, what was the use of merely growing leaves? He was growing strawberries and not buying a pot of foliage plant. It was a step slower in flowering, so the result was that he'd fallen behind Shang Jin. In the end, he was too careless. Obviously, he'd proposed the competition, and in the end, it was Shang Jin who had put his heart into it.

Even if Ye Zhou had a setback, he wouldn't dawdle. He took out Shang Jin's extra pot, laid out a newspaper on the ground and carefully transplanted the strawberry seedling. Pruning the aging leaves, the strawberry seedling was a lot neater.

Shang Jin calculated the time. After it blossomed, bearing fruit would be right around the corner.

Growing strawberries in the dorm, moreover on the fourth floor, there were very few bees and butterflies. To grow the fruits well, it still depended on artificial pollination. Shang Jin found an artificial pollination method in the book, and specifically went to buy a wool brush. The soft wool wouldn't harm the fragile flowers when pollinating them.

Zhou Wendao dropped by once and was dumbstruck when he saw the series of tools Shang Jin had bought for this strawberry plant. Behind his back, he secretly told Ye Zhou, "Shang Jin is good enough to the gift you gave him. With what he spent on this pile of tools, I don't know how many strawberries he can buy."

This also indirectly showed the level of intention of the other party. Ye Zhou was comfortable and happy, so said disdainfully, "I've said that the most important thing about a gift is intention. How can such a layman as you understand?"

Shang Jin didn't know their comments behind his back. He flipped through the calendar and estimated that in one month, it should be able to produce strawberries.