Chapter 41

Yeji approached her first.

Something not too common even in times of truces.

Ryujin had been sleeping when she felt someone touch her shoulder, shaking her softly.

She wasn't scared easily but she would be lying if she said that it hadn't nearly resulted in her screaming her lungs out. Lucky, she contained herself. And Yuna, who was difficult to wake up, was still deep asleep.

Yeji gestured for her to follow.

Ryujin could barely process what was happening, let alone get her eyes fully open.

'Am I about to be murdered by Yeji in the middle of the night?'

Regardless, she followed her.

They quietly made their way into the dance room.

Why?

Oh.

Is it because it's the most soundproof?

'Am I about to get yelled at? Again?'

Yeji didn't look mad though. She looked determined. The whole situation was confusing and it made her head spin.

Yeji closed the door behind Ryujin, waiting for the latter to turn to face her before speaking.

"You asked me if it was real."

What? When? She's pretty sure she was just sleeping so she didn't ask anything.

'Oh. Shit.'

Right. A while ago Ryujin asked if Yeji and her had been real. Was she going to finally get an answer?

"It was wrong of me to cheat on you. I should have ended things beforehand. But it doesn't make what you and I had any less real."

'Ryujin, you're a bad bitch who is not going to cry.'

"It was real."

"I need you to know that it was real."

Did Yeji wake her up in the middle of the night to tell her that?

To tell her that what they once had was real?

Ryujin felt all types of emotions inside. Rushing in. Threatening to pour out. But she tried her best not to show them. Not to show how much it meant to finally have an answer.

And for the answer to be that.

It meant more to her than she would ever admit.

"It was real?" Ryujin whispered, more to herself than anyone else. Her eyes focused on the floor instead of the other woman. Her eyebrows were furrowed as she tried to fully process the information.

Yeji got closer, catching her off guard once she noticed how close she was.

"Thank you. For everything you've been doing for me. For trying."

She looked up, noticing how Yeji was crying.

It was a rare sight.

Hwang Yeji rarely cried.

Yet there she was, pouring her eyes out in front of her.

Allowing herself to be vulnerable in front of Ryujin.

Her half asleep mind was struggling to assimilate all this information.

Ryujin hugged Yeji. She hugged her as tightly as she could, the older of the two placing her face into the crook of her neck. It was a position familiar to the both of them. Through the years, they had found themselves in it many times.

It felt the same yet completely different. Everything had changed between them yet, Yeji still fit perfectly in her arms.

There was so much she wanted to say.

'I'll always try for you.'

'Consider me dead if I stop trying.'

'I couldn't stop if I tried.'

'I love you.'

Ryujin didn't say anything.

They remained in silence for a while. Until Yeji excused herself out of the room, sniffling as she walked away. Leaving a confused and baffled Ryujin behind.

'Hwang Yeji showed her vulnerable side to me.'

'What does it mean?'

'Is this a goodbye?'

When Ryujin woke up in the morning, to her mother texting her, she finally found out why Yeji had said that.

'It is a goodbye.'

'A goodbye to us.'