08: Missing Piece

I watched the boy playing alone at the garden. At every toss of the ball in the air, the ends of the white scarf around his neck also swayed. His pink hair was sticking up in all direction, while his face showed no expression. Although the sparkles of his eyes following the ball's movement was really visible.

"Be friends to him, Lucy," Mama's voice echoed in my head.

The ball that rolled to my feet had me dropping my eyes down in interest. It's like it was inviting me to pick it up...

I felt my body moving. I'd just found myself having it between my hands, my feet started taking steps towards him. He flashed me a small smile, calling my name softly.

"Luce..."

But then...

"No... P-Please don't..." Everything bacame dark. The once bright afternoon sky had vanished as I found myself in a cold room. Crying... begging for someone to spare me...

A man stood in front of me. Aside from the darkness, my tears were making it hard for me to see his face clearly. But I knew that all he brought was danger as the glimmer of blade on his hand didn't escape my vision.

"P-Please... Let me go, Zaldeo-san..."

I knew him? And my voice...

I looked down at my trembling hands, and realized that it wasn't as small as how it was that afternoon. And my body, it certainly didn't how a six year old girl look like. This night was probably years later...

What's really happening?

"I gave my loyalty to Layla..." The man spoke with voice full of hatred. I blinked my tears away to focus my vision on him. His dark hair was in a puffy curl held back by a bandana, scars were visible on the sides of his face, and his eyes were wide in rage with his pupils contracted in thirst for revenge.

He... He's our gardener...

The thunder violently echoed that made me jump in fear, the continuous pour of heavy rain brought chills running all over my body. Suddenly, surge of memories came rushing back to me.

This man kidnapped me...

"I loved her too much but all she did was throw me away after using me!!" I clamped my hands to my mouth to prevent myself from screaming when he raised the knife. "Why did she fire me, huh?!! What the hell did I do?!!"

"B-Because you're scaring her!"

A memory flashed in my head, the night when I heard Mama crying and Papa trying to comfort her...

"H-He's suddenly giving me letters and stuffs I didn't ask from him, Jude! It happened multiple times already!" She hysterically exclaimed, while Papa tried to hush her. "I tried to keep it to myself and not think too much because I know he's done no harm, but the way he looks... his smiles...! I can't stand it! I can't stand it anymore! I can't just wait for him to do something before we take actions, Jude! Please, please!"

"Shh! Layla, calm down! We'll do something about him, okay? I won't let him get near you!"

I glared at Zaldeo after remembering all of it. He wanted something from my mother... He's obsessed of her that's why Papa got rid of him!! He's working for our family for years already and we trusted him, but no one had ever thought he'd turn this way! Just imagining him fantasizing over my mother in the shadow disgusted me so much!