Lunch Date

When we reached the Magnus Hall the bell was ringing. We both entered the class and sat down in our usual seats right before the second bell rung. We sat next to each other in the middle of the room in between the twins, Sorsha and Sara. They were a lot like Tegan, beautiful and completely ruthless. We also sat right behind the Scarlets, the Scarlets was a name they had been given by the rest of the student body, because they were the too rich, the too smart and the way too beautiful people that went to the academy. The rest of us were the normals, those of us who weren’t like them. 

Mr. McCauley walked into the classroom shortly after the bell rang. “Will everyone please take their seats, so that I can begin this mornings announcements.” There was a lot of rustling and chair metal scraping against the tile floor as everyone took their seats. “Thank you. Ok, the Headmaster has instructed me to bring to your attention a new curfew rule. From now on you will all be expected to be in the dorms by nine o’clock, this is for your own safety due to the recent killings in the near by town of Prineville, at this time there is no need for panic this is only a precaution we have decided to take. Also, the woods near the tower are off limits, there have been several signs that there may be a wild animal in the area. Should you encounter this wild animal do not run but slowly remove yourself from the situation and inform either you dorm leader, teacher or the headmaster himself immediately and the situation will be dealt with.  Ok, I believe that’s all the announcements for this morning, Lets begin where we left off at the battle of the bulge, page sixty in your textbooks.” 

I looked over at Tegan who was looking at me with the same look. We both knew the real reason why the curfew had been given and that there was no wild animal in the woods at all. These were all covers for the real  truth and the truth was the Scarlets were a lot different then the rest of us. The Scarlets were our secret enemies, there were a lot more to them then beauty and brains, they looked harmless enough, the problem was they weren’t. They were part of the all encompassing fallen. The fallen is your average fallen angels, demons and other forms of evil. The story has it that Lucifer wanted to be like God, and deceived many of his fellow angels into the idea that they too deserved to be worshipped. Well,it isn’t a big surprise, that the creator of the universe would cast them out of heaven. There was a lot of deception which resulted in the fall of Adam and Eve, but lucky for them, they weren’t cast aside forever like the fallen, they were provided a savior. The people were redeemable, which really pissed off the fallen and since then they had been waging a tireless battle to destroy mankind and the entire earth. You know the same old story.

I have never seen any angels fallen or not, and I don’t think I’d want to, if I had been given the chance. I have seen soldiers of the fallen, demons here and there, but mainly I knew of the vampires. I wasn’t sure exactly how they played into everything. They didn’t always have a side, many of them walked a middle ground, looking out for their own self-interest. The problem was, we were the ones caught in the middle. The innocent. The meal. They drained the life from us with their crystal venom fangs, consuming our life energy, taking everything that was once ours, every memory and thought, past and present. They weren’t supposed to exist in the real world. They were myths only existing in books and movies. The truth was they were more real then anyone wanted to know, for over hundreds of years, who knows maybe longer, they had walked amongst average people, and when anyone didn’t come home they chalked it up as a missing person. Well thats the funny thing, thousands of people going missing every year and no one gets concerned. People are strange that way, they are so unwilling to see what is so clearly in front of them, they would much rather believe a lie.

I looked away from Tegan toward the window, and gradually I spaced out, thinking about the reason for the sudden changes in the curfew, and dorm lock down. I didn’t return until the bell rang pulling me back into reality. The Scarlets who sat in front of us were talking to each other quietly, which always made me nervous because it made me think they were hiding something. The thing was, I had come to find out that when it came to vampires my special ability didn’t work. I couldn’t see anything when I touched them, and I realized that it was because they were dead, in a manner of speaking. I could only pick up the minds of the living because they gave off brain waves. Tegan squeezed my arm and then collected her book bag and got up and began to walk out of the classroom but stopped by the door to talk with one of the twins, I wasn’t sure which one, because they both looked the same to me and I hadn’t cared to get to know either one of them.