Twisted Lives

I could see a glowing light behind my eyelids that felt like they had been glued shut. My eyes fluttered open then closed sharply with the shock of a harsh blinding light. I felt myself release a hiss. I pulled my body away from the light then opened my eyes squinting. I realized I was on the floor by the door. I felt confused for a moment, then in a flash everything that had happened in the past couple of days came filing through my thoughts. I flinched almost instinctively at the remembrance of the pain. That’s when I realized I felt fine. There was no pain at all. I felt like none of it had ever happened like it had been a terrible nightmare. I pulled myself off the floor with ease my muscles felt relaxed and my bones cracked as I stood as if they had been stiff for months. I released a sigh. I walked around a little still nervous that the pain would come back but when it didn’t. I wanted to leap for joy. I had lived. I was alive. 

I ran into the bathroom, and turned on the bath. I was alive and I was going to take a bath. The bath felt amazing. I wanted to cry at how amazing it felt to be alive. A tiny laugh erupted from my throat at the thought. I pulled myself out of the water dried off and put on a pair of my jeans and a purple lacy top that I found in the bottom of my shirt drawer. I grabbed my brush off my vanity and began to run it through my wet tangled hair. I stopped in mid brush when I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror. I looked exactly the same expect for my eyes they were bright and shining violet. I dropped my brush it hit the floor with a thud. I ran my hands over every inch of my face inspecting it in the mirror then over the rest of my body. Everything seemed to be in the correct places, nothing was missing and everything seemed to be working correctly. The only change seemed to be in my eyes, besides the color they looked wiser, the wisdom of having lived two lives I supposed. The mark on my hand, seemed to have faded, looking more like an old scar. 

I stared blankly at the reflection, and then shrugged. Oh well, I guess I could get used to them. I reached down to grab my brush, suddenly hit with an overwhelming sense of danger. The hair on the back of my neck raising. I stood up slowly, looking around the room, seeing nothing but I felt like there was something wrong. I felt my foot slide forward slowly, then the other almost in some kind of strange dance. A dance that only a warrior would know. I listened carefully, and heard a sound coming from the other side of the door. I stared hesitantly at it, holding my brush in a way to throw it at whoever or whatever came through the door. 

I watched the knob on the door turn slowly, quickly I pushed my body against the wall behind the door to give myself the element of surprise. I didn’t hesitate once the door was open all the way. The figure was large and bulky. I slid from behind the door and grabbed the figures arm twisting behind their back shoving it up into their shoulder blades. The figure let out a cry of pain and fell to its knees. I slid up close pushing my body against it’s back, breathing steadily. I knocked the figure hard across the back of his head with my hairbrush. His body slumped all the way over. I released it jumping up quickly nudging it to face up. I jumped on top of it straddleing it between my legs. I reached up to it’s head ready to breaks it’s neck in one swift movement. 

I looked down into it’s face. My heart stopped beating, “Tristen...” My voice said softly. His eyes were closed, his breaths coming in slowly. I had been ready to kill Tristen. I would have jumped up off his body in shock if I hadn’t been so overwhelmed by the sight of him. His dark hair had fallen across his forehead and there were dark circles under his eyes like he hadn’t gotten much sleep. His lips were slightly opened and I could feel his hot breath coming and going out. He looked so peaceful lying there. My body reacted without much thought. I laid my head down on his heaving chest, my wet hair sprawling out across his lifeless arm to the floor. I closed my eyes and listened to his heart beating, slowly at first, then picking up it’s pace. It’s like he knew I was there even though he was unconscious. I felt myself release a giggle, I sure had gotten him good hadn’t I? I pulled myself up off his chest and looked down again into his beautiful face. I let my hand push the hair from his forehead my fingers trailing down his cheek to his lips. I stopped myself for a moment uncertain, then I let my fingers run smoothly and slowly across his lips. They were soft to my touch, like velvet.