Tango with A Demon

“Evan?” I called out into the dark study in my uncles house. I heard nothing in the darkness but I swear I had seen him walk into the room when I had entered the dark house. I tried hard to focus my eyes in the dark trying to make out the shapes. I took another step into the darkness, “Evan? Are you in here?” my voice seemed uncertain. I stopped moving and stood still the light from the living room pooling at my feet casting my shadow in front of me. I shouldn’t feel nervous about following Evan into the dark room but for some reason something didn’t feel right. I took a couple more steps away from the door into the dark room my legs trembling a little. I heard a rustle in the corner of the room behind me. I turned quickly. In a flash I saw something dart across the room the door to the study slamming shut. I stumbled backwards falling to the ground by my uncles desk. 

I couldn’t see anything the room was completely dark and I wasn’t alone in the darkness. Something was in the room with me. I felt my body go rigid. Involuntarily I called out, “Evan?” then I was silent. Listening for any signs of movement but nothing happened. I started to crawl forward. My nerves buzzing with electricity like they had the night before when I had been in danger. I tried to push back my fear. 

I heard the faint rustle in one of the corners it sounded like wind blowing. Almost like words in my ears. I stopped moving and froze. I closed my eyes and let my other senses become more acute. I could hear the wind rustle but now I could make out what seemed like words, must crush the human. I knew now for certain I was in trouble. What had possessed me to follow Evan into the study? Who now I knew wasn’t Evan but someone else...Something else. There was a soft voice in my head, You need to find a light. I needed to find the light switch because right now I was completely useless without my vision. The thing that wanted to crush me had the advantage over me in the darkness. I started to crawl quickly toward the door. Suddenly there was a flash of light in my eyes and a strange pain in my head. I realized then that I was flying across the room whatever that thing was it had given me a serious blow to the head. I hit the wall with a loud thud. I felt the air rush from my lungs my head felt like it had been hit with a semi-truck. The soft voice echoed through my pain, move. 

I pushed myself quickly away from the wall onto my feet and ran, unsteady for the door which was my only escape. I felt a blow to my legs that sent me tumbling to the ground smashing into the strange statue my uncle had always admired. My body ached all over. I tried to pull myself up again but my body was too weak. The voice came back, If you don’t get up you’ll die. The realization hit me with a sudden peace. I was ready to die finally all my misery would be over. The world would be a better place without me in it. What about your uncle? Tegan? . There faces came into my mind but all it did was fill me with warmth they would be safer it seemed if I was dead. Evan? . I felt a pang of hurt in my heart causing my eyes to mist. He had been the only person that had ever understood me, sweet Evan, he would be hurt by my death. A tear fell from my eye. I heard the rustling growing near. I felt my body tense all over. I wonder what it felt like to die? But I knew already didn’t I. I had already died once before maybe that was the problem. I should have died then but escaped and now death finally was coming to collect. I felt a peace overwhelm my body and mind. Everything was going to be ok this way. 

A face came into my mind, beautiful green eyes glittered with stardust. The eyes that had kept me alive, a perfect way to die. Imagining those sparkling eyes. Tristen. My heart felt like it was exploding pushing heat through my body and engulfing every part of me in the strange warmth. Strange, that the person I disliked the most was the last person I would want to think about. I felt the warmth retreating. I didn’t want to feel that way about anyone but especially him. All he’d ever brought into my life was trouble. 

That’s when it happened. The room suddenly ablaze with light blinding my eyes for a brief moment but I could hear clearly the shrieking of whatever had been attacking me. Then it all stopped. The room was dark again and filled with silence. I’m dead. Another voice intruded into my thoughts, no, your still alive. I knew that voice, Evan. I thought calmly with relief. I felt warm fingers brush some hair away from my face. I opened my eyes slowly, my eyelids fluttering. There he was leaning over me. I couldn’t see him to well in the darkness but I knew it was him. I tried to pull myself up but when I tried to move pain shot through my chest. You must have some fractured ribs. You look like you took quite a beating. Evan spoke plainly without opening his mouth. I wanted to laugh, yeah I had taken a beating alright.