Love Bites

You ever have that sensation when you feel like someone is staring at you. That’s the sensation I felt as I woke up. I could tell that I was laying in a bed because there was a soft pillow under my head, a mattress underneath me and a warm blanket draped over my body. As I woke out of my sleep I knew I wasn’t alone wherever I was. I opened my eyes slowly my vision a little blurry as it adjusted I was looking straight into a pair of crimson colored eyes. I screamed, jerking the blanket closely to my body as if it were some kind of shield. 

“You sure are strange one aren’t you?” there was a faint southern accent mixed into the girls musical voice. She was a unique beauty. She was dressed up in a black lacy dress, a bow tied around her head to hold her curly red hair back. I noticed her pale body was covered with freckles, it was strange because I had never seen a vampire with freckles maybe that made her unique. I relaxed a little, “Where am I?” She flashed me a dazzling smile fangs and all. “Who are you? and where’s Logan?” I asked faintly as she took a step forward, and that’s when I noticed she was barefoot her feet had dirt on them. I pushed the lump of anxiety down with a hard swallow. 

“My name is Ruth, Who are you darlin’?” The dazzling smile was still plastered on her face. I gave her an odd smirk, she sure was interesting in a quirky way. “I’m Lucy...” She jumped a little with excitement, “It is so nice to meet you Lucy. Now that is a beautiful name, it really suits you I can tell.” I blushed a little at her comment. Ruth took another step forward and I pulled back further on the bed still not sure what she was thinking in her pretty head. She let out a tiny giggle, “You sure are skittish. Don’t worry Lucy, Tristen brought you here because he trusts me so you can do the same. He told me to watch over you and that when you woke up I was supposed to take you to Evan.” I nodded with a little shock, “Tristen brought me here?” She tilted her head, with wide sparkling eyes, “Of course he did, who else would bring you here.  Let me tell you, you’re lucky he’s still got a soul, because any other guy would have sunk himself into your pretty little neck without a second thought.” 

I dropped my hold on the blanket and instinctively wrapped my hand around my neck. Ruth let go a rippling girlish laugh, that almost sounded like a song, “Boy, you sure are a lot of fun Lucy. I guess I should take you to Evan like Tristen asked, unless you want to rest some more?” I jumped up out of the bed quickly, “No, I’m awake.” Ruth giggled again, turned and walked out of the door. I followed behind her quietly. I could hear the sound of voices and laughter as we neared the stairs to the main room. I must have slept for a long time because it seemed like the whole dorm was in the main room. I felt my nerves begin to crackle with anxiety, “Ruth do you think it’s safe for me to go through the main room with all of them down there?” I asked coming up beside her. 

Her crimson eyes flashed quickly to me, “Well, as long as you don’t talk, nobody will know the difference...” I felt a little bit relaxed until I took a moment to think that over, “ Yeah but you noticed...” I watched a smirk spread across her pouty lips, “Yes, but I’ve been around for a while. I’m more keen on details then most...” I smiled nervously and nodded. I was a little curious to know what details she was talking about but I figured I really didn’t want to know. “You know I have been waitin’ to meet you for ages, but he did not do your beauty justice...” Ruth said looking over at me with a soft smile. I felt a little taken back by her comment, “You’ve been waiting to meet me?” She let out another laugh, “Of course I have. Tristen isn’t a very open but he couldn’t shut up about you. Honey, you stole his heart the moment he laid his eyes on you...” I blushed brightly. She didn’t understand how incredibly complicated everything was now and that he couldn’t stand the sight of me. I knew she was examining me, “Your frownin’...” she sounded confused. I pushed some hair behind my ear, “It’s nothing.”
“I may not be a human but I am not stupid. You want to tell me what’s botherin’ you sweetheart?” Her southern voice was coated with sugar. It would make anyone want to spill there deepest darkest secrets. I picked up my pace, “It’s really complicated. It’s not that you wouldn’t understand, it’s just that I don’t think I can talk about it right now...” I felt the honesty of my words. Ruth's soft hand grabbed my arm gently and squeezed it. I looked over at her, and found her giving me a tender smile, “Whenever you want to talk I’m willin’ to listen...” I smiled back at her, “Thanks…” We walked the rest of the way in silence. We descended the stairs without any plans or pep-talks.