In Sickness and In Health...

When we reached the nurses office I stopped at the door and Tristen looked at me with questioning eyes. “The nurse knows everything. I don’t know how she knows but the point is you don’t have to hide who you are...” I smiled and opened the door for him to enter. Tristen looked a little nervous and then entered through the door. I laughed a little and then followed in behind him. A women with curly red hair sat behind a single desk looking over a file. She looked up at us when the door closed, “Ah. Mr. Matthews, I was expecting you.” I looked over at Tristen whose eyes seemed shocked, “Excuse me?” his voice filled the air with confusion. I stepped forward a little but stopped in my tracks when she switched her gaze to me. Her eyes blazed like fire as she stared at me which sent a shiver down my spine, “Lucy? Is that you?” I smiled a nervous smile. “Of course it’s me Miss. Johnson. Who did you think it was?” My voice again seemed to have an echo like two different people were speaking. She continued to look at me with fiery eyes and then smiled “Of course it’s you. You just seem different thats all. Now Mr. Matthews, please explain what happened or what you remember happening.” She looked back down at the file in front of her. I looked over at Tristen who looked uncertain what to do. I nodded to him to speak.

“Well, I was sitting in class drawing in my notebook like always and...” he was interrupted by the sound of Miss Johnson gasping. We both looked at each other and then back at her desk. She looked up with wide eyes, “Mr. Matthews, You’re not being honest with people about who you really are. It’s a dangerous game you’re playing Mr. Matthews. You can only pretend for so long before people figure out the truth...” I looked over at him too with shock written on my face. His face went completely smooth, “I’m not pretending anything...What are you talking about?” His eyes seemed to sparkle I looked back at Miss Johnson her face too went completely smooth they stared at each other as if they were fighting each other through their thoughts. I stood their silently watching them. Finally, I watched as a small smirk began to slide across Miss Johnson’s face and small sweat drop rolled down Tristen’s face. “Your very strong Mr. Matthews, but I am more agile. There are no secrets in my presence.”  She said to him as she gracefully stood up out of her seat and walked around the front of her desk stopping directly in front of us. 

She continued to smile and then moved her gaze to me, “Poor Lucy, your memories were so clouded in darkness. The pain of not knowing who you were, or where you came from must have been unbearable. I can release you from your inner darkness, ease that terrible heartache...” I felt the hair on the back of my neck rise as Miss. Johnson moved toward me. I looked over at Tristen who was still staring head long at her desk like she was still standing there. I took a step away from her, “What are you talking about Miss Johnson?” I looked into her eyes once more and then turned and ran for the door. I tried to open it but it wouldn’t budge. I heard a little laugh rise from her throat, “Silly child, did you not also think that I would be expecting you too?” I looked back at Tristen not sure what was happening, “Tristen, I need you. Help me! Why won’t you look at me?” Another laugh rose from her throat. She moved closer to me with each step. I closed my eyes and braced myself for whatever would come. “Lucy, I am going to take you away from all of this don’t worry about a thing darling.” I felt myself tremble all over, I squeezed my eyes together tightly, “What did you do to Tristen?” 

Her voice floated into my ear she must have been nearly and inch from me. “I did nothing to the boy that he hadn’t already done to himself. He was just a pawn in the game. We used him so that I could get to you. See, the other day when you were brought to me I noticed a strange mark on your hand. I knew what that mark would mean for us. My mistress needs to know your power but that power is hidden even from you. It is my duty to retrieve it for her and if possible rid her of you completely...” I felt my heart beat in my head. I felt a sharp pain as she grabbed the sides of my head between her hands it caused me to yell out in pain. Her laugh cackled out in the silence. “Open your eyes!” I squeezed them tighter and then another jolt of pain coursed through my body more painful then the last. My scream was louder and more agonizing. “Open your eyes and I’ll make the pain stop but if you don’t I will make you wish for death.” I heard the echo in my head through the next painful jolt. Open your eyes. I did what the voice told me and I looked straight into her fiery eyes. I felt sudden pressure in my head like someone was pushing on it.