Talk About Fallout

I’ve never been the fighting type. I don’t think I ever remember a time in my life when I even thought of hurting someone. Yet, here I was ready to kill for the people I loved. I had been dragged into an old war that I didn’t want to be apart of. Truthfully all I ever wanted was to live a normal life and pretend the things I knew existed didn’t exist. I guess it was only a matter of time before I was lost to this war for dominion, but right now I wanted to fight. I wanted to go in there guns blazing and take out as many of them as I could even if it was a suicide mission, which of course that’s what this was, for me anyway. The drive was faster then I thought it would be, twelve hours until we reached our destination. The ride was silent most of the time, all of us thinking about what we were about to do. I mean it isn’t everyday you try to takeout a coven of vampires and demons, with only three girls who had only ever been victims of the war. We had to ditch my jeep back in town and walk five miles to the ranch. 

We must have looked like the three mercenaries walking down the dirt road, loaded down with weapons, our faces painted with the rage we let fill up our souls. When the barn came into view my adrenaline shot through the roof I looked around and noticed a small shed near the barn. I quickened my pace Ruth and Tegan following quickly behind me. We made to the shed in no time flat I leaned my back against the rickety shed Ruth and Tegan stopping in front of me. I looked them both in the eyes, “Okay we need a quick figure of how many people we’re dealing with here...” Ruth nodded and snuck off around the corner of the shed. My heart was thumping so hard as I waited for Ruth to return Tegan looked as nervous as I was feeling at the moment. When Ruth came back around the corner I let out my breath as did Tegan. She looked confidently at us, “She has two scouts in front, and from the smell of it she has a Fade guarding the inside...” I nodded thinking what would be the best course of action, “Okay, I think we can take out the two scouts without much problem, but I don’t know what we’re going to do with that Fade. It could warn the others before we even have a chance...” 

Tegan cleared her throat, “I have an Idea...” Ruth and I looked to her with a sort of surprise which seemed to make her a little annoyed, “Ruth could go through the window and take care of the fade. While you distract the scouts long enough for me to sneak up and take them out...” Ruth looked thoughtful for a moment then spoke, “That’s a pretty good plan for a hunter...” She gave Tegan a pat on the back. Tegan grimaced at Ruth, “Thanks...” I smiled to myself, “Alright, Ruth you go first, once your inside wait until you hear my voice. Once you hear me take out the Fade as quickly as possible, our mission depends on it...” Ruth nodded and turned to leave, “One more thing...” She looked over her shoulder at me, “Don’t look into it’s eyes...” She nodded and then ran off around the corner. Tegan and I moved quickly peering around the corner to watch as Ruth climbed up the side of the barn and pulled herself through the window.

We both stood silent for a moment then I spoke, “Okay, I’m going to draw their attention away while you sneak up behind them and take them out...” I looked to Tegan her face was set and hard. I started to walk away then I turned back to her, “Oh and Tegan...” Her eyes looked directly into mine, “Yeah?” her voice was hoarse. I gave her a smirk, “Make sure you don’t miss...” Her eyes narrowed into a glare, I laughed silently to myself as I walked off toward uncertainty. I rounded the corner of the barn with a confidence I hadn’t felt in a while. The two scouts immediately turned to me they looked like normal people minus the tattoos that covered there bodies and their cold soulless eyes. The scout closest to me moved first, “What are you doing here little girl? This is not a place for you to be...” The second scout pivoted towards me a nasty snarl on his lips as he spit out something to the ground, “Oh come on Jay maybe she came to have a little fun...” he spoke his eyes shifting over my body and then back to my face letting out a wicked laugh, that had I not been numb right then would have sent me trembling. I let out a laugh, a fake, “Oh my goodness...I must have made a wrong turn somewhere. See, I was trying to pick some fruit from the orchard up the road and I must have taken a wrong turn...” I let out another whimsical laugh.