14

An: I'm gonna have lots of time to write tomorrow so enjoy this early update and expect another tomorrow night! -Sav

The squeak of a bed frame startled Holland awake. She squinted and rubbed at her eyes, a confused look on her face until her eyes followed the hand thrown across her side up to its owner, Calum.

They must have fallen asleep.

She reached for her phone slowly, trying not to wake him but her movements stirred him from his sleep and he instinctively gripped her tighter.

Holland was a bit embarrassed by how giddy she felt being held in his arms.

" Mornin'." He mumbled, he blinked dramatically as he yawned, resettling himself so that his head rested on her chest and his arms held tightly around her middle.

"You comfy?" Holland laughed, ducking her head to kiss the top of his head.

"Mm-hmm." He replied happily, lifting his head so she could see his puckered lips.

She couldn't fight the smirk as she leaned forward to meet his lips with hers. It felt so surreal, like she was living someone else's far more interesting life.

"Guess we fell asleep last night." He told her, his voice still deep and thick with the sound of sleep. She found it incredibly sexy and bit her lip so that she wouldn't embarrass herself by telling him so.

"Yeah, 's alright though. I'm not complaining." She said with a smile.

"Oh really now." He joked, his eyes shining as he released her and used his arms to lift himself into a seated position.

"I can think of much worse ways to wake up than next to you, Mr. Hood."

"Holland," he said dramatically, "I'm shocked, are you flirting with me."

"Depends. Is it working?" She asked, daring to be more brazen than she had ever in her life.

She liked Calum. He was nice, they had great conversations and some kind of invisible thread seemed to always be pulling her towards him and she didn't want to fight it.

"Of course it's working." He chuckled, unable to contain his amusement. "It's been working since day one Holls."

Her heart swelled at his words and his admittance that the things she was feeling weren't one sided. Everything he did only made her want to risk it all for him more than she already wanted to.

"Hey, um," he trailed off for a moment as his eyes narrowed at her and he struggled to decide how to cram his question.

"What?"

"Yesterday, you were so upset. Can you tell me why?"

She sighed heavily. She knew this conversation was coming.

"Yeah, I just," she took a steady breath wanting her words to come out right. "I really struggle with math. We got our last tests back yesterday and I failed which gives me a C for the course right now and Coach Waller doesn't let us compete if we have anything below a B, so I freaked. I've always managed to keep my grades up but I don't know what the fuck I'm going to do. It's my senior season, I don't know what I'd do if I had to sit out because I can't do fucking Calculus."

"Surely he wouldn't bench you over a grade? You're like the star of the team, you're the captain."

"Coach doesn't play about his rules. He makes it very clear that we're students before we're athletes."

"Well, when's your next test? Maybe I could help you study or see if I can get you a tutor or something?"

"You'd do that? You'd help me?" She asked, her eyebrows raised in surprise at his offer.