37

An alarm sounded and triggered a groan from Calum.

"What time is it?' He asked her, burying himself deeper beneath the covers, content to remain where he was.

"It's nine. Do you want to go watch the parade with everyone or you gonna sleep some more?"

"What parade?"

"The Macy's parade, it's the big one in New York they show every year. We went to it when I was little and now we watch it on TV every year, it's tradition. You don't have to if you don't want to though." She told him.

"No, no. I'm coming." He said, his back cracking as he sat up in bed, he rubbed at his eyes until they cleared and he could see her sitting across from him on the edge of the mattress.

She giggled and he looked at her sideways until she pointed to his hair. He ran his hand through it to settle whatever mess she was cracking up about and then stood, locating a pair of gym shorts and a Tshirt and slipping them on before following her out to the living room. Everyone else was already assembled around the television, a spot for Calum and Holland remaining on the couch where they sank down into the cushion.

"Calum, have you ever watched the parade before?" Holland's grandmother, Rebecca, asked him.

"Can't say I have, honestly. My band actually got asked to be in it once but our tour dates didn't line up."

"No way, really?" Evan asked. Calum had long since decided that Holland's brother was his favorite member of her family.

"Yeah, it was a while back when we were still touring with One Direction."

"That boy band Holland was obsessed with? Didn't you see them on tour, Holls?" Rebecca asked.

"Yeah, mom took me actually." She smirked, and Calum wondered what she thought was so funny. "Mom, do you remember telling me that you liked the opener more than 1D?" She asked.

Her mother nodded slowly and Calum couldn't help but chuckle.

"That would be my band. Though, I would like to think we've greatly improved since those days." He laughed. "You guys should come out to a show, sometime."

"Hell yeah, that'd be awesome." Evan said.

"What I think Evan means to say, it that we'd love to." Calum was surprised that the last comment had come from Holland's dad.

"Cool, next time we play LA I'll put everyone on the list." He promised and the whole crowd turned their attention back to the TV as the floats and large balloons wound their way through the streets of New York City.

It had taken nearly a day but Calum was finally beginning to feel accepted by Holland's family. Perhaps they were just a bit more guarded than some people and he couldn't fault them for that. He was quite protective of his family as well and would probably react the same way to someone new being brought in to their holiday celebrations.

When the parade broadcast had ended the entire family moved to the kitchen, everyone, even Calum, being given a task to help prepare the meal. He helped Holland finish preparing the pumpkin pie that would be for dessert and slid it in the oven after the turkey had been removed.

With the table set and the food spread across the table the whole group took their seats. Rebecca asked that everyone take a turn stating what they were thankful for and Calum tried to quickly come up with what he could say. There was quite a lot to be thankful for at the moment.

When his turn came he took Holland's hand beneath the table. He could face crowds in the thousands and sing no problem but their was something so nerve wracking about trying to impress the girl he was in love with's family.

"I'd have to say I have quite a lot to be thankful for. My job, my friends, my family and the opportunity to see them after quite awhile next month. Today though, what I am most thankful for is the opportunity to be here with all of you and for the girl who allowed me to join in your festivities." He finished, squeezing Holland's hand as she leaned her shoulder into him in subtle appreciation.

"I'm most thankful to have you here. For your constant support the past few months and that you didn't let my crazy family scare you off." She said, looking at him.

"We're not even that bad." Evan interjected rolling his eyes.

"Hopefully in the next year I'll have a successful Olympic team trial and Gold medal to be thankful for too." She ended.

With everyone's thoughts shared the food was divvied up and everyone dug in. Holland allowed her plate to be filled but Calum wasn't oblivious to the fact that she was doing a lot more pushing food around on her plate than actually eating.

"Excuse me." She said rather suddenly, drawing everyone's attention as she sat her napkin on the table and pushed back her chair before practically fleeing the room.

Calum was only two steps behind her. He wasn't sure exactly what was going on but he knew she needed him and he was going to be there for her.

He found her pacing in the empty foyer. "Holls?"

She turned to face him, her eyes widening before she opened her arms and allowed him to hold her. He wanted to ask what was wrong but he had a feeling he already knew and that asking her to admit it would only make it worse.

"Why am I like this?" She asked him. "Why am I so fucked up?"

"You're not fucked up, Holland. It's a disease and the biggest thing is that you realize your actions and you've been working so hard to get better. You were doing it basically on your own for a while. You aren't alone anymore though, okay? I'm here and I want to help you but you have to let me. I know this has to be scary for you. The whole fucking day seems to be about food and I can't even imagine how that must feel for you but I'm here for whatever you need. Can you tell me what you need?"

"To not have an eating disorder would be great." She said sarcastically and he laughed softly and pulled her tighter against his chest kissing the top of her head.

"I'd love that for you but we have to work with the hand we're dealt, yeah?" She nodded. "What if, we go in and you eat at least two bites of everything. Deal? That manageable."

Her face looked pained but she nodded. He didn't understand what she was going through but he could empathize and he knew this had to be hard for her. She was trying though and that filled him with hope. He needed her to get better because he simply needed her.

"Everything okay?" Her dad asked as they retook their seats.

"Yeah, sorry. I just got a bit hot in here, I turned the air down." She said smoothly, a white lie intended to protect his feelings.

Her dad nodded and returned to his meal, the rest of the tables occupants doing the same. Calum hated how easily she lied but he didn't want to fight with her about it. Not when she was already having a hard time and especially not in front of her family.

Holland kept her promise and shot him a thankful smile as he covered her plate with his and took them to the trash bin. She was trying and it was clearly difficult for her. As her boyfriend he felt the need to protect her and this was something he couldn't protect her from but he could hold her hand while she fought off her inner demons and that's what he was determined to do.

AN: Her family warmed up! We'll get to know them a little bit better eventually too, especially her mom.

What are your thoughts?

Let me know!

Thanks for reading I love and appreciate you all!

Sav🖤