twenty-five - party

twenty-five - party

Layla had received another phone call from another unknown number. At this point, she didn't even want to answer it. The only reason she did was because it was an Outer Banks area code and the number was vaguely familiar.

"Hello?" she questioned, turning the car radio down so she could hear the other person on the phone.

She could almost hear them smile. "Hey, Layla." She recognized the voice immediately.

"Rafe?" she called back, confused. She reached forward and shut off the air conditioning running in her car as she sat in the parking lot. "Why are you calling me?"

"This is a very personal invitation," he stated, his words having a slight slur despite it being only 4:30 in the afternoon. "To the Cameron residence." Despite it being one sentence, he really made it sound like two.

She smirked lightly and shook her head at the absurdity. "Thank you, but no thank you."

She heard Sarah yell in the background about how she promised next time.

"We surveyed all 15 party guests, and your name was the top pick," Rafe confessed. "Come on, don't be lame. All the alc you can imagine."

"That's nice and all-"

"Party starts at 6. Be here," Rafe stated as his voice became more and more faint. It was as if he had forgotten he was on the phone and didn't hang up.

While her initial thought was overall repulsion, she gave it a second thought. She was currently too bored and too annoyed with her current friends (namely JJ and John B) to say no. She didn't know who would be there and she didn't care. At least JJ wouldn't be there to babysit her every move to protect his feelings.

She decided to go home and get dressed for a party at the Cameron residence. She had attended a few before, but they were all years in the past.

She elected on a pair of navy skinny jeans with many rips, as well as a white tube top printed with butterflies. Her hair was tossed into its usual waves, and she elected to put some makeup on. She slipped on her white sneakers, and headed out of the door. Her phone was at a whopping 43%, but she figured it would be enough to last her the night.

While it was extremely out of character for Layla to attend functions like this, she was trying to be different. She realized she was too goddamn predictable. JJ had cheated on her and she had sort of forgiven him. While she still had a lot of unresolved anger towards him, it didn't change the fact that she woke up with him in her house. He had known that no matter what he did, she would forgiven him. Because that was Layla Arden.

She wasn't trying to be that girl anymore.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

Upon arriving at the Cameron residence, she contemplated not going in for just a moment. She parked her car among the dozens others on the street, taking a deep inhale and then exhale.

She had to go in. It was less about the party and more about proving something to herself.

She glanced at herself in her rearview mirror, adjusted her hair, and got out of her car. She locked it behind her, walking up to the Cameron household. She took another deep breath, putting her hand on the doorknob and pushing her way inside.

Upon entering, it wasn't quite what she was expecting. While she didn't have expectations, it was still not what she was prepared for. On the inside, dozens of people were scattered about with drinks and bottles in their hands.

Sarah Cameron spotted her as soon as she walked in. "Topper!" she called. "She showed! You owe me $20!"

Sarah rushed over to her. "I told them you would show. It's so good to see you!" she gushed, tossing an arm over Layla. "And your outfit is so cute!"

Layla smiled. "That's so sweet."

"You're looking too sober," Sarah called, grabbing a closed bottle from the ice box on the table. She passed her the drink as she guided her into the party. Rafe spotted her from across the room as he was talking to Kelce. He mumbled something to Kelce, as Rafe made a beeline towards the pair.

"Well hey, Layla," Rafe called, taking a sip of his beer. "Sarah's trying to give you some fruity shit? I say we do shots."

Sarah rolled her eyes. "Fine, I'll pawn you off onto Rafe. Emily just got here!" Sarah released her grip on Layla as Sarah ran towards the door.

"I was waiting to see if you showed before I got completely wasted," Rafe confessed.

Layla raised her eyebrows. "Why am I here, Rafe?"

"Because I invited you?"

She rolled her eyes. "Why am I here?" She repeated her question again in hopes that he would understand what she was asking and answer.

He shrugged. "Because I think you're pretty. And you're a lot more lax than you seem."

"Is that an insult or a compliment?" she challenged, confused as Rafe took the bottle Sarah had given her from her hands and placed it back on the counter.

He said nothing as he led them towards a different counter. He grabbed two shot glasses and the bottle of vodka, pouring the two glasses full. He glanced at her, as she simply shrugged. She grabbed one as he grabbed the other, both of them taking the shots quickly.

Layla's face puckered at the strong taste, as she set the glass back down on the counter. Rafe did so similarly, Layla grabbing the bottle and pouring them both a second drink. They both took that one similarly.

Rafe then pulled a bad from his pocket. He flashed the package at Layla, revealing he had edibles. "Are you in the mood to get all the way fucked up, Layla?"

Rafe pulled the package open, offering her a serving-sized gummy. She grabbed it from him, nodding. She placed it in her mouth, chewing the mango flavored candy. She tasted the weed every few bites, but swallowed it all in a gulp.

She was ready for fun night. What she wasn't ready for, was the morning after.

Layla didn't expected to wake up in Rafe Cameron's bed. In his t-shirt.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───