six - asshole

six - asshole

"You guys wanna go to the beach today?" Kie questioned, her long, tan legs exposed as she lounged out on the floor, her back pressed against the couch. It was a hot day, and the single fan running was not doing much for the temperature of the room.

"We went surfing, like, four days ago," Pope replied, the idea not sounding entertaining to him. He simply wasn't in the mood.

JJ glared over at him. "We live in the Outer Banks." This simple statement was enough; all there really was to do was water-related activities.

"We could go fishing," John B added.

"We went fishing yesterday," Layla explained, crushing that idea.

JJ rolled his eyes lightly, "What do you care, Princess? You just lay there anyway."

Layla's head lifted from her position on the couch. She grabbed the pillow, firing it at JJ. He caught it, holding it on his lap.

"I still vote beach," Kie chimed in. She was visibly uncomfortable, pulling her shirt out off of her skin in attempts to relieve some of the heat.

"It's hot as fuck," JJ muttered. He moved the pillow off his lap, tossing it on to the floor.

 Layla shrugged, the temperature not really bothering her. "I'm down for the beach."

 "Lay and I are going," Kie decided, a slight annoyance in her voice. "You all can come if you want." Kie knew that if they sat there and talked about it longer, they would never move from their positions in the blistering heat. 

 Kie climbed from her spot on the ground, heading towards the grand stairs. Layla assumed she was heading up to her room to change her clothing into something more fitting for the beach.

 Pope let out a sigh, "Beach it is."

 "What do you have against the beach, man?" JJ questioned, his tone light. 

 "What else are we gonna do, bake in this house?" Layla added.

 JJ glanced over at her. "Did you say baked?"

 Layla glanced over at the boy. A small smirk was on his face. Layla simply rolled her eyes, rising off of the couch to follow Kie upstairs.

 "What the hell is up with you and Lay?" Pope questioned, glancing over at JJ. 

 JJ looked at him, projecting an overly confused look. 

 "Oh, Layla, let me save you!" John B mocked. 

 JJ rolled his eyes. "She would've drowned." He hadn't jumped in the water to make Layla fall for him; he jumped in the water because she was his good friend and she was in trouble.

 "You think Layla Arden would've drowned?" Pope questioned doubtfully; everyone knew it, she dominated the water. If JJ had waited just a few more moments to dive into the powerful waves, Pope was sure Layla would've risen to the surface.

 "Oh, Layla, let me resuscitate you!" John B threw in. He was likely calling on the behavior JJ had exhibited after the incident. Layla insisted on catching a few more waves, despite JJ trying to convince her otherwise. He then made his way the beach with her, made sure she was okay, and then they headed back to the car while the rest of the group finished surfing.

 JJ rose from his position on the couch. "You know it is so not like that." He felt defensive at his friend's accusations. He and Layla were friends. Period. Layla was shaken up after the incident, so he went back to the car with her; it was what any good friend would do.