ten - missy williams

The next week had been spent with JJ constantly over Layla's house, the pair hanging out frequently when they weren't at John B's. Most of the commuting had been done by the HMS Pogue, being picked up and dropped off.

This Saturday morning was different, as everyone else was busy. Layla and JJ were left to their own devices, deciding on going out.

Layla put the keys in the cup holder, trying to start her car. It clicked and refused to turn over. "Fuck," she muttered, attempting to press the button again. "It won't start."

JJ shrugged, "You got cables?"

"Like, jumping cables?" Layla asked. She didn't feel entirely comfortable with JJ jumping the car. It wasn't that she didn't trust JJ; in fact, JJ was one of the people she trusted the most. It was that she was concerned about his safety.

"No." His tone was sarcastic, unbuckling his seatbelt. "In the trunk?" He was already opening his car door.

"Uh, yeah, in the trunk," Layla confirmed, getting out of the car as well.

She grabbed her keys, exiting the vehicle, and popping the trunk. JJ began to rummage through the tote in the back, locating the intertwined, long cables; one was red, one was black.

"What side is your battery on?" JJ asked. He glanced over at Layla as pulled out the cables and separated them.

"Uh..." Layla genuinely had no clue. The only thing the girl knew about cars was how to drive them.

"Tsk, tsk, tsk," JJ muttered, waving the cable at her. "Do you at least know to pop the hood?"

Layla nodded, heading back towards the driver seat. She had left her door open, finding the small latch on the near the bottom of the seat. She lifted it, the lid popping slightly.

She walked around to the front of the vehicle to join JJ. He stood, looking at the hood. Layla then went to pull the hood up, it not moving at all. JJ let out a small laugh. "Here, move. Watch your fingers."

He bent down slightly to meet the hood, pushing down the small clip that kept it shut; it was the hood release. "Oh," Layla said. She felt sort of dumb in JJ's ease of going about it while she struggled.

"I'm going to teach you how to jump a car, Layla Arden." JJ then lifted her hood with a single hand, lifting the long, black, hood prop with the other. He then secured her hood open. He gestured to the battery with his finger. "That's your battery. Wanna go grab Mrs. Flora's keys?" JJ planned to use Layla's grandmother's car to start it.

Layla nodded, heading into the home. She was met by her grandmother sitting at the kitchen table, her in pajama pants, and a pair of slippers. "Home so early, Sweetie?" She set her mug filled with coffee down on the table.

"Actually, I needed to borrow your keys," Layla explained.

Flora nodded, "Sure thing, hun, they're in the basket. Where ya going?"

"My car isn't starting, JJ's gonna jump it."

"Do you kids need help?" the woman asked kindly; she was no expert, but she had jumped her fair share of cars in her life.

Layla shook her head, "I think he's got it."

Flora smiled to herself, her eyes looking to the ceiling. "That boy." Her tone was something of bliss. Truth be told, Flora cared for JJ; after all the time he had spent in her home, how could she not? He was a respectful, sweet boy. If she had to choose anyone for her granddaughter to spend so much time with, it would be him.