thirty-three - redfield

 Everyone made the decision that it was the safest decision to head back to Layla's house for the night at least, and possibly ride out there for a few days.

 Layla was overall shaken, especially since she had only learned of the entire ordeal about four hours prior. Furthermore, the idea of the men having guns and being after John B scared her. While the boy irked her most times, the last thing she wanted was for him to die.

 After she got her bearings, she helped the crew regroup. 

 "I mean, a family heirloom, right?" John B explained, still not letting go of the compass. "What better place to hide a message? He knew it would get back to me."

 Layla made eye contact with Kie. While it was possible that Big John had some elaborate treasure hunt planned to find the Royal Merchant and a fortune, Kiara was doubtful. Layla was just worried about the boy's wellbeing, especially considering the fact that two men who were much scarier than John B were after the compass.

 "Do you really need the compass?" Layla questioned, glancing across the room at the boy. John B was seated on the couch, Layla leaning against the small doorway that separated the kitchen from the living space. 

 Pope gave her a pointed look. "Seriously, Lay?"

 "It was my father's, Layla," John B retorted, slight annoyance in his voice.

 Layla inhaled, shaking her head. "I know, John B. But you already got the message out of it. It won't do you any good if they kill you over it." Kie shrugged in a gesture of agreement. "I know you have a connection to it, but it won't matter if you're dead."

 "As one of the people here who have lost parents, you would think I could trust you to understand." John B did not know the entire story with Layla's family, but had come to a reasonable assumption. "He knew it was going to get back to me."

 Layla simply inhaled at his dig. She knew he was processing a lot at the moment, and if his sort of attacking her was what it took for him to cope, she could live with it.

 "Could it be possible that maybe you are concocting?" Pope questioned, glancing across at John B. "To, you know, process your sad feels?"

 "Bro, you know I process my sad feels," JJ commented. "Dank nugs and the sickiest of ickies, that's how I do it."

"I'm not concocting," John B fired, shaking his head. "My dad was clearly trying to give me a secret message."

 "Whatever helps you believe, John B."

 "I don't need a therapy session, okay?" he stated, glancing between everyone in the room.

 JJ rose his hands. "Look, I'm not tripping out."

 "Look, my dad," John B began, "He's missing. Missing. You don't know what it's like to have the person closest to you vanish and then have no idea what happened. Just wake up every morning wondering. It's been almost a year." 

 Layla could only simply raise her eyebrows at his comment about losing someone close to you. While she did not know what it was like to ponder their fate, she had two people ripped from her life in short succession. First her mother, and then her father followed closely. 

 "He could have been kidnapped, I mean, that's a real possibility."

 "Yeah, could be in a Soviet sub getting interrogated by the KGB somewhere."

 "Absolutely, or, uh, Atlantis."

 "JJ," Kie reprimanded. "Look, what do you think the message is?" 

 "Redfield Lighthouse," John B concluded. "That's my dad's favorite place."

 Layla looked around at everyone, electing to keep her opinion to herself. Instead, she was going to be dragged along on the journey. And probably be shot and killed.

 Layla grabbed her phone, following the group out of the house and towards the van. She locked the door behind her, piling into the back of the vehicle with JJ and Kie. Pope took shotgun, and John B drove.

 "So what is the plan when we get there?" Layla questioned, her knees pulled up to her chest. 

 "Kie and I are going to go in and see what we can find," John B explained, glancing at Kie in the rearview mirror. She simply glanced at Layla and shrugged. 

 "First of all, why don't I get to come?" Layla challenged, glancing up at John B. "Secondly, what are you even looking for?"

 John B chuckled. "It'll take you and Pope to wrangle JJ."

 "Okay, that's fair," Pope stated in concurrence.

 "Well, why do I need babysitting?" JJ challenged, his face holding a pout. "Especially from Layla, she's been MIA for like, weeks."

 "Okay, that's dramatic," Layla stated, turning her attention to JJ. "Did you think about why I would be MIA?"

 "Because you're in love with Rafe Cameron?" JJ fired, crossing his arms. 

 Layla's back instinctively straightened. "Are you serious right now? Did you ever stop to think it was because you're-" Layla stopped herself. She took a deep breath.

 JJ laughed quietly. "Come on. Say it."

 Layla took a sharp breath. She wasn't going to admit anything to JJ, especially since he wanted her to. "I don't have anything to say to you."

 "Maybe Layla should come into the lighthouse with us." Kie was simply attempting to prevent another fight or argument; the last thing they needed was a full-on screaming match in the van.

 "Yeah," John B agreed with a nod. 

 "I agree."

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───