Chapter 19: Too Nice

You know you're in love, when you can't fall asleep,
Because reality is finally better than your dreams.

You know you're in love, when you can't fall asleep,Because reality is finally better than your dreams

J A M E S

Annabeth sat through the entire movie without blinking or even stirring.

The movie made me feel daunted as fuck, even up to the point that I had grabbed her hand in a death grip at some point and hadn't let go. But her?

She didn't even care when I turned and damn near pressed my face against her stomach so that I wouldn't have to look at the shit going on. I'm pretty sure that I had been clinging on to her like she was a fucking stuffed toy at some of the worst parts but I don't think she even noticed.

She spared me a single glance, patting the side of my face reassuringly, before going back to watching the movie.

I didn't know whether to be impressed or unnerved.

"Bro," Tyler says when the credits play, his face pale.

"Bro," Ethan returns, just as shakily.

"Bro."

"Bro."

"BRO."

"DUDE."

"I'm going to cry," Tyler says, pulling his shirt up and hiding his mouth, "I'm not okay-"

"What the actual fuck did we just watch?" Elliot says, his head in his hands, "I'm not going to sleep for the next three days-"

"What the fuck," Beth mutters, blinking at the now dark screen.

Annabeth, who had started messing with my hair at some point in the movie by running her fingers through it- something that I surprisingly liked very much- decides to pipe in.

"Wasn't that cool?"

Everyone turns to her incredulously.

"What?" she says, defensively, "I thought that was great. That last clip? Florence Pugh nailed it. Terrifyingly good."

"Yeah," Elliot nods, a little sarcastic, "So terrifyingly good that I'm not going to be able to sleep for the next few days."

"Right?" Maia had her face still half-hidden in Ethan's arm, something that had my eyebrows going up slightly. "Annie, how on earth did you sit thr-"

The door creaks open at that moment, making half the people in the room scream.

"Stay back," Tyler threatens, lifting his fingers to form a cross, "I have the power of GOD AND ANIME ON MY SIDE A-"

"Kids," Aunt Janine admonishes as she pokes her head into the room, "Why on God's earth are you screaming?"

I can feel Annabeth's body shake with silent laughter as they all let out a collective sigh of relief, and that was a sign for me to sit back up straight- before anyone decided to start commenting on it.