| I Am Jane Smith |

Matt's pov:

"Well, that's a long story," the Doctor started to explain, "we were kind of just traveling when we landed here, and when we opened the doors we were in your apartment. And that's about it."

Her, um, heartbeats were steady. She was telling the truth. I think. The fact that she has two heartbeats still throws me off a bit, not that I'd admit it out loud. The others in the group nodded their heads in agreement giving each other satisfied looks. I stood there and fiddled with the bottom of my shirt, unsure of how to respond. I was starting to get used to hearing strange things like this, but that shouldn't be possible.

The silence was becoming increasingly awkward as they waited for a response.

"Oh."

"So, Matt, has anything weird happen recently?" the Doctor asked, "Like, I dunno, something unnatural, perhaps?"

"No... not really. Although..." I started to remember the weird noises that came from that creepy warehouse, "there is this warehouse, that is supposed to be abandoned, but it has a lot of people in it. I was just checking it out before I came back here, actually. I figured it could wait until tomorrow though as nothing bad seemed to be happening." The Doctor nodded thoughtfully.

"It is pretty late," Graham agreed with a yawn.

"Yeah, lets look at it in the morning, for now I'm going to bed," Ryan said tiredly. The two of them walked into the TARDIS, where I presumed they had beds somewhere. I was still having trouble wrapping my head around the fact that this, Police Box, was bigger on the inside, and that it could fit so many people in it too. When I went in, I only sensed the control room area. Although I did sense a vast emptiness too, but I just ignored it for the time being.

Now it was just me, Yaz, and the Doctor left.

"So, what should we do then Doctor?" Yaz asked.

"Oh I think that we should do what our friend Matt said, isn't that right?" she turned torward me expectantly, I nodded, "Well then, see you tomorrow, yeah?"

"Yeah, good night," I gave a faint smile as they both disappeared into the box. There heartbeats got farther and farther away as they walked deeper into the structure, impossible so.

"See you in the morning..." I whispered to no one in particular.

Now, time to get some rest, I got a big day ahead of me.

~

The next morning I got up to the familiar sound of my alarm clock reciting the time. 6:30 am. I got out of my bed reluctantly, already missing the comfort of my silk sheets. I picked out one of my Best Suits, or at least that's what Foggy dutifully named it, and put it on.

Today was a really big case for me. I would be defending a kid accused of carrying and selling illegal drugs as well as carrying stolen cash. He's part of a street gang that's pretty common around these parts. He's a nice kid. But he didn't do the things he was accused of. The details of the case are pretty basic, but if you don't play them to your advantage in front of the judge and jury then he, and I, could be damned. This case could help me get more accountability as a lawyer, as well as Nelson and Murdock. Even though it's no Wilson Fisk case, it's still pretty big, and, like always, just as important.

~

I walked to the office with Foggy. He tried to talk to me I think, but I had too much on my mind and honestly wasn't paying attention. That's why when he suddenly yanked me backwards it caught my off guard.

"Huh?"

"Dude! You almost walked onto the street right in front of a moving car!" he exclaimed.

"Oh," I wasn't paying attention that much. I didn't even thank him. We both continued on our way, Foggy a little bit more than worried. He kept trying to talk to me, but again and again, I wasn't listening.

It's a major case. I can't mess this up. I have to win it.

~

We walked in to the court house and I could just feel a weird vibe coming from within. I think Foggy could feel it too, because he tensed up and his heart rate got a little faster, he looked at me. I looked back (well, I turned my head towards him anyway, details and all that.) I gave a small nod that said "yeah, I feel it too" and he looked back away. I studied him for a few more moments before he gulped, took a deep, calming breath and nodded. I took that as the OK. We cautiously kept walking in the direction I sensed it was the strongest. The closer we got, the stronger it got.

After a few tense minutes that felt like hours, I was almost to the holding cell where I could talk to my client. I let go of Foggy's arm, gesturing for him to wait there. I didn't wait to see if he would obey before I walked towards the door. I heard eight heartbeats, way more than there should be for just a couple of guards and my client.

I walked in, on alert. All my senses were focused on that one, small room. I reached for the door, pulled, then...

"Hullo!"

I froze. Oh no, not them.

"Um, Matt?" Foggy said as he walked over, radiating confusion. He must've saw how I tensed up, I thought. I moved further into the room to give him room to come in.

"Glad you could join us! Let's get on with it then, shall we?" the Doctor said.

Why is this happening to me....

AN: This took me a lot longer than it should have. I've been so busy with school work and confusing schedules. But anyway, I hope you enjoyed the story! I'll try and update soon!
And don't forget to check out my other story "Under Extreme Circumstances"!
Happy Pride Month!
Bye for now~

- J-jay

Word Count: 972 (without AN)