Capítulo Quatorze: A Sopa

Gemma's POV:

Zion was out of his seat in less than a second. The guy gulped and rattled off something about some fire-fight going down outside of the city. Zion cursed and rolled his eyes, glancing back at me.

I didn't even pretend like I wasn't listening.

If they didn't want me to listen in then they shouldn't be having a conversation in front of me. Common sense.

"And you aren't taking this up with Tobias, why?" Zion asked sarcastically. The man looked down at the files in his hands and then looked back up at my older brother.

"Mister Perigoso isn't home at the moment." The man's voice trembled as he spoke. It was obvious that nearly everyone was terrified of my brothers. My God, the doctor at the clinic was afraid of my brothers and he hadn't even met them.

Made me wonder about their reputation.

Damian was widely known as insane. Tobias was a hermit. Sinclair was a motorcycle gang leader. Zion was rich.

The only two that people needed to fear were Zion and Sinclair. I doubted that brotherly loyalty was super important to the Perigoso boys, seeing as how they didn't seem like all that much of a family.

Okay, being afraid of Damian was somewhat understandable. But insane wasn't always dangerous. I had met several harmlessly insane people in my lifetime. They never dreamed of hurting anyone. Their reality was simply different than ours.

Tobias on the other hand... That was a mystery. Perhaps our parents had something to do with it? They obviously had money, looking at the house.

"So I'm your next best option? Take a few men and handle the situation." Zion snapped, lowering his voice in vain. He did realize I could still hear him, right?

Better question, what did my brothers have to do with a shootout in the city?

And why did it sound like Tobias commanded some of those gun-slingers?

I needed to do some serious digging about my family. If I was going to be living with these people, I was going to know who I was living with. They would just have to get over themselves.

"Yes sir." The man almost bowed before scampering out of the room. Zion glanced back at me before storming from the room. I frowned at his sudden and dramatic exit.

Drama queen.

I looked around the library and saw just what I needed to see. Computers.

Hello, darlings.

I opened Google and started searching through every article where my brothers were mentioned. Not many mentioned me or my parents, which I found odd. Journalists were often ruthless. They wouldn't leave a stone unturned, especially a stone that large.

It took going on the second page, which I was wary about, but I finally found an article about my parents. It was the only one of its kind so I immediately bookmarked the page. I scrolled through the entire article and found a few interesting facts.

One) My parents were immigrants from Brazil, which meant I was Brazilian.

Two) My parents came from nothing. Meaning my hermit of a brother, Tobias, had to have cash coming in from somewhere. And it wasn't some fancy business or anything.

Three) Damian was only mentioned once. People were terrified of the youngest Perigoso brother. And no one was telling me why.

Tobias had cash coming from somewhere. I couldn't imagine him working well with others. He didn't even work well with his brothers, hence the reason he couldn't be sharing the business with Zion.

Fire fights in the city that had to do with Tobias? Sounded like Tobias had something going on in the criminal underworld. Well, isn't that a kicker.

People shook in fear before my youngest brother and not once was it mentioned why. Maybe he had something to do with Tobias's world? No, he didn't look like they type to be a team player.

The way Damian moved was graceful and stealthy. Sinclair once said that he didn't know where Damian went. It had to be hard to disappear in a house surrounded by people. Perhaps Damian specialized in something particularly illegal?

Wouldn't that be fun?

I erased my existence on the Internet and shut the computer down before anyone could see what I was looking at. I wanted to know more before I started confronting people about their lack of morals.

Some lady in a maid's uniform informed me that lunch was ready. I'd never been more grateful for a distraction. I would think for hours and hours on this unless given something else to think about and food was an excellent distraction.

I thanked her and hurried to the dining room. I memorized the path when I took it last.

"Heyya, Gemma." Damian waved cheerily at me when I entered the room. I smiled and waved back at him. Tobias was sitting at the head of the table. I found it odd that he wasn't present fifteen minutes ago and suddenly turned up right in time for lunch.

Yeah, I was gonna need some answers to some of my questions. And pretty quickly.

"Hey, Damian. What's for lunch?" I asked, sitting down in a random chair. Zion was sitting next to Tobias, Sinclair on Tobias's other side. Damian was sitting beside Sinclair so I sat down beside Zion, which wouldn't be my first choice.

"Some fancy soup, I think." Damian answered me quickly. I chuckled at his answer and sipped at my water. Zion was on the phone, mumbling something about some type of problem his company was having with an annoying investor.

A server put the bowl in front of me and my nose wrinkled at the putrid smell. I looked over at Damian who was gagging at the rotten fish smell. Zion and Tobias didn't seem to mind as they slurped it up.

I spooned some of it into my mouth. I wanted to spit it out the second it touched my tongue, but I managed it down.

"I think you need to hire a new chef." I joked, directing that at Tobias. He rolled his eyes but didn't even look at me.

"You need to stop whining and eat your food." Tobias snapped at me. My eyebrows lifted into my hairline and my lips curled into a small smile. Damian was staring at Tobias with a 'What the heck' look on his face.

Even Zion was gazing curiously at Tobias.

"And you need to pull your head out of your ass."