Chapter Eight

Kageyama was back at school, eyeing the ball of sunshine. Why did he have to deal with a killer anyway? It was too much work. Just a nuisance. Of course they were just excuses, but he really didn't want to investigate his friend.

Hinata could feel it. Someone was eyeing him, someone was suspicious, but who? He took in a deep breathe in and slowly breathed out, concentrating on where it was coming from. Unfortunately, he couldn't find it.

"Damn..." he cursed under his breath. "Just... damn..."

As soon as class was over, Kageyama walked out to avoid everyone. Normally he would say something to Hinata, but he wanted to avoid him. He wanted to avoid talking and just wanted some time to think about everything for a moment.  He scratched his head in frustration and cursed under his breath.

Hinata noticed.

What does he know?

~~

It was practice.  Hinata was running towards the net, ready to spike, while Tsukishima was ready to block.  Kageyama had the ball in his hand, ready to set to the spiker, the others in their position, ready to back them up.  Right when he was about to set the ball, he remembered that day when he had seen that dead body.

He missed.

The pure dread Hinata had emitted sent chills down everyone's spines. As Kageyama felt it, he was reminded.

Your eye, your eye, your eye, your eye....

You could've at least stayed alive for the other eye...

He could almost feel a gun to his head. He was terrified of that killer. He was filled with that same dread. His eyes were fixed on Hinata, his arms dropped in defeat. His head then dropped down, almost ashamed.

"Hey Kageyama," Daichi called out. "Are you sure you're alright? You know, with your grandfather and all?" There was a small pause before he finally responded.

"He's going to die..." At first no one heard him. "He's going to die...!" He said a little louder. He closed his eyes shut and clenched his fists. "He's going to die!" The feeling of dread felt heavier now.

"Kageyama-" Daichi started off but then got cut off.

"But I won't let him!" Kageyama looked straight at the captain. "I'll find a way! I'll do it. I won't let it come to that! I..." He stopped. He was breathing heavy, ready to fall,  but he didn't. He meant what he said.  Soon after, he excused himself and went straight to the locker room.

Tsukishima would have made a snarky remark, but he felt it wasn't appropriate. Rather he confused, and quite frankly, suspicious about Kageyama, but he brushed off the feeling as his own imagination.

Not Sugawara though.

He thought to himself, why wouldn't he say his grandfather was dying? Why say that he's going to die as if he wasn't in a state right before death? Was someone else going to die? If so, who? He turned to talk to Daichi, but he was sure he would say that he was overthinking it, overanalyzing. So he kept it to himself, until he had evidence.

In the locker room, Kageyama felt humiliated. He had never felt so scared in his entire life. At least, not with things such as that. He was fine with dead bodies, killers, psychopaths, but this one, made his whole body shake.

He hated it.

A knock on the door. "Yo!" He snapped to the sound, it was Hinata. "I got permission to check up on you. Captain said we should take it easy for today."

That wasn't the real reason why he left. Hinata was suspicious of him. The way Kageyama spoke, it didn't seem like a death that was inevitable, rather a death that was caused. Was Kageyama affiliated with something? Did he know about him? What did he know?

He walked up to him and gave him a hug.

Kageyama didn't move, he didn't say anything. He stayed still, wondering why the suspect was hugging him.

"Kageyama..." he whispered softly. Then he remembered something. "Do you hate me?"

Then Kageyama remembered it too. He said it himself before that he had fallen in love with someone. He could get close to him by dating him. But the odds of Hinata saying yes and accepting him seemed impossible.

"No," he responded. Hinata's hug grew tighter, more possessive.

"Then... do you like me?" This was definitely his chance. Kageyama responded with his hands embracing him in a hug just as the other had done.

"I," he hesitated. This wasn't a right thing to do. He would break his heart if he found out.

Hinata waited for his response, he waited for what felt like hours.

"I do."

His heart fluttered. He was happy Kageyama was a step closer to being his. He was ecstatic.

'He's gonna find out.'

The voice rang in his head, but he shook it off. The hug still lasted for another long moment as he forced himself remember that moment.

"I love you."

Practice was done, and so was the long hug and moment of confession. Kageyama felt terrible for lying, but he needed to prove his friend innocent. Simply knowing was not enough evidence.

Hinata was over the moon and yet, he felt no different. Of course there was his counter, bringing everything down for him, but himself? He was pretty normal.

By the time the team walked in, they were apart, acting as if nothing had happened. Kageyama was ready to leave and Hinata getting his things. They both bid their captain and the rest farewell and walked home together, as they always did. Normally, they would race to the hill, but today was different.

Somehow it was all worse. Feelings out made everything worse. No one spoke, not even a single sound. Just the sunshine with his bike and the King with his book bag. He would occasionally glance over, wanting to say something, but he stopped himself, too embarrassed to really do anything.

Finally, one of them spoke.

"Kageyama!" Hinata shouted to the ground, stopping in his tracks, too nervous to really look in his setter's eyes. Kageyama looked back, as he was a few paces ahead, and hummed a yes.

"What is it?" Hinata looked up, anxiety taking control. He opened his mouth to say something, but nothing seemed to come out, so he tried again.

"Want to come over?" His voice cracked, but that was the least of his concerns. Kageyama found it as a perfect opportunity, but in a way, he was excited. Much like a child, he was excited to go over a friend's house, but then it was also different as a new feeling  was mixed in. He was nervous.

He didn't want to betray his friend. 

"Sure," he said cooly, with almost no emotion. The other thought he didn't want to go so he shrugged and told him he didn't have to. Instead, the setter responded with a bright smile. "Let's go!"

A/n I'm sorry!!!! I know!!!! Terrible!!!  But I swear there's more to this story! This whole chapter was a bit difficult to write (I had major writers block) and so it might be a bit choppy in some areas. I hope you enjoyed it though!!

Vote!

Comment!

And if you haven't, follow!

And as always, any questions shall be answered!