f o u r : w a v e s

Pretentious

Pretentious.

Aahan sighed as he sat on the soft grass, studying the ongoing selections in front of him intently. Fake extravaganze of their minuscule powers. A girl with long black hair waved her arms as a swirling tornado of air was created around her. She smiled brightly for a while before her long hair got caught in the currents and her entire body was pulled into it. There was a ripple of laughter as he shook his head. 

He fixed his eyes back on the book open in his lap and tried to read it, although, it was getting really difficult. He was aware of a familiar presence as Aris came and sat beside him, cross-legged. Aahan glanced at him from the corner of his eye, his heart-wrenching at his appearance. His eyes were rimmed with red, his hair dishevelled and even though it was a good thirty degrees, Aris wore fully covered clothes that hid even his neck. When he came to think of it, he had done so since the last week, avoiding questions about the sudden change of wardrobe. 

Aahad had a certain suspicion of why he could hear sniffling sobs in his room every night, but he was afraid to approach the topic. Aris clearly hadn't trusted him enough to tell him about his sexuality, even though Aahan didn't really care about it. A surge of anger and a twinge of jealousy shot through him that Aris had gotten closer to Zeke in two years than he had to him in eight.

"You look atrocious," he said. He shut the book and turning to face Aris. "Indeed, extremely awful."

Aris sniffed and kept his stare fixed straight ahead. "Thank you, Rana. Your honesty is appreciated."

Aahan sighed and nudged Nia on his right, who seemed to be extremely interested in something on her phone. Her wide eyes snapped to his. He was shocked to see the blush on her face and raised an eyebrow. "What the hell are you doing, young lady?"

Nia shook her head and quickly put her phone back in her pocket, leaning around Aahan to gaze at Aris. She glanced back at Aahan questioningly and he shrugged, feeling extremely annoyed that both of his friends were now keeping secrets.

He prodded Aris' foot with his. "Greenwood, what the hell is wrong with you? You are moping around like your dog died."

"I'm not."

"Incandesco guild!" the loud, booming voice of Obsidian called as a bunch of students rose to their feet, including Nia. Aahan gave her an encouraging smile as Obsidian started leading them away to a farther off clearing. 

They were sitting on the massive grounds in front of the Sognare. A few of the students, who had shown promise during practical lessons had been brought here for further selections. The ones who showed extraordinary control over their element would be taken in and trained further as a true Sentinel at the Sognare itself. 

"Aris?" Aahan spoke again. "What is wrong with you? You're sulking around the entire fucking day and won't tell me anything when I ask. Wh-"

"Please...I..." Aris bit his lip and glanced away. Aahan watched, stunned as vines erupted from the earth in front of him, rising up and covering Aris till he was cocooned in a web of green. Aahan sighed, exasperated.