t w e n t y - s i x t h : r e b e l*

I felt anxious

I felt anxious.

I sighed and gazed at the intricate lace in front of me. It was hard to believe that just a few days ago we had been in Fuegos and I had watched Aris' ruthless father rip his heart apart. Again. The thought made my insides fill with venomous anger.

"It was a beautiful ceremony wasn't it?" Nia asked, smiling as I broke out of my reverie. I nodded as I gazed at our surroundings which were beautifully decorated for Nicholas' wedding. It was something that Aahan had dragged us to so that he might feel less awkward.

"Also really boring," Aris said, resting his head on the table. I found myself staring at him, marvelling at the way the twinkling fairy lights reflected off his perfect features. The way his upper lip jutted out slightly as if he was pouting. The way his golden hair fell over his forehead. The way his eyes glittered in the alluring way that always pulled me in.

"I'm just glad it's over," Aahan said, shaking his head and looking despondent.

I looked straight ahead at the beautiful archway decorated with white and pink flowers under which Aahan's stepbrother had just got married. A lazy lull had fallen over the grounds as I stifled a yawn. The round tables set on the grass were decorated with a soft pink silk cover decorated with flowery doilies with a centrepiece of what I was almost sure was lilies. Soft music played in the background as waiters milled about in immaculate suits with trays full of sparkling liquid on them. There was a strange calm in the air, a welcome change from the hectic training we were undergoing.

My eyes drifted over to Aris again, my heart starting to race. He looked at me, smiling softly as it went on a full-on marathon.

"I'm gonna go get some food." Nia got up and wandered away as Aahan banged his face on the table with alarming ferocity. I started, gaping at him in disbelief.

"Rana, what the fuck?" Aris spoke, alarmed.

Aahan sighed. "I'm okay."

"Yes," I raised an eyebrow. "That is immediately believable when you say it after randomly banging your head on the table."

Aris giggled nervously, his eyes were concerned. "What happened?"

Aahan shook his head, massaging his temple. "I am okay. Affirmative."

"Aahan."

A mellow voice called from behind us and I turned around to see Nicholas, attired in a dapper suit and smiling at him. "Come here."

Aahan gave him a forced smile. "In a minute."

He sighed as soon as Nicholas glanced away. He rose to his feet while muttering, "I'm off for forced socialization."

Aris gave him a sympathetic smile as he went away. I gazed for a while as Nicholas introduced him to a middle-aged couple who smiled and shook his hand amicably.