t h i r t y - t h i r d : w a l l s

I gazed around the mess hall, my heart sinking.

"He left early."

I blinked and stared at Aahan as he took a bite of his sandwich. He sat behind one of the long benches, the sunlight bouncing off his dark hair as his eyes gazed at me serenely. "His dad called him up and he left early. Apparently it was urgent."

I nodded, feeling my stomach clench with discomfort. I couldn't understand why Aris had left Asteria without informing me first. He had dropped me a text but ignored all my calls. I felt a twinge of anger at the fact that Aahan knew and I didn't. Things had been fine, better than fine a few nights ago. 

"It's so weird you guys," Nia said as she slipped into the seat beside Aahan, her eyes wide as she shook her head. "Can you believe we passed this semester?"

I scoffed, taking a seat beside her. "Speak for yourself."

"Nobody cares about your grades, Zeke. At least you passed." Nia assured me. 

I sighed, fixing my eyes on the food. In all honesty, I couldn't find it in myself to care for theory. At Asteria, they were merely a formality anyway. You had to pass them, that was the sole requirement. My mind anyway, was fixated on something else.

I couldn't understand why I was suddenly so uneasy. A couple of weeks had passed since Nicholas' wedding. A week I barely noticed as it flew by between intensive training, revising for the upcoming exams and a lot of lovemaking.

My gut was telling me, however, that something was off with Aris. "I'm...I'm surprised he didn't tell me," I asked, feigning nonchalance. 

"He didn't tell you what?" Aahan asked, peering at me.

"Er...you know. He just left. I...it's not like him." I shook my head. My stomach twisted uncomfortably. 

He took a sharp breath and exchanged glances with Nia as I tried to appear extremely unbothered. "His dad texted him. Just to get home quickly. Didn't explain anything."

I nodded, chewing my lip. It didn't sound like it was anything good.

"He'll call you. Don't worry Zeke," Aahan said, his eyes soft.

I nodded, still feeling uncomfortable as I got to my feet, leaving my breakfast half-eaten. "I'll see you guys later. When are you leaving for home?"

The last day of the semester meant that many students had already left, leaving the campus eerily quiet. Nia and Aahan were a few of those who were still present.

"Afternoon. Nick will be here to pick us up. You should come with us."

I shook my head. "Thanks but...I think I'll just leave now. I gotta go back. See you."

I walked away, my mind in a flurry.

I sat on the bed in my room and tried calling him again, but to no avail. I couldn't understand what was it that was keeping him so busy. I wondered if I should just go to his home and see but told myself I was being paranoid. I typed in some words that I hoped didn't sound too anxious.

Hey. Can you please call asap? I'm worried

I sent the text and lay on the bed, gazing up at the ceiling.

I shut my eyes, taking deep breaths. I couldn't understand the dread in my stomach. Maybe it was because I was usually the one closing him off. He had never done anything like this. But then, it was possible that he was simply busy. Aahan and Nia weren't worried, and they had known him for longer than I had.

I snapped out of my reverie as there was a gentle knock on the door. I sat straight up, almost falling over my feet in an attempt to get there. My heart sank and clenched in fear when the door opened and Elijah stared at me.

I tried to act impassively as disappointment weighed in my stomach. "What..what do you want?"
He took a deep breath and to my surprise, I saw that he looked nervous. Scared even.

"I need to talk to you."

I leaned against the doorway and stared defiantly at him. I was shocked to learn that we were the same height now. "Go ahead."

He glanced at the hallway before shaking his head. "Can I come in?"

"No," I answered curtly.

He sighed. "I'm not comfortable talking about it here."

"Then don't. Goodbye." I started to shut the door before he planted his hand on it and forced it open.

"Just listen okay? I can't...I can't be seen here. Just let me in." He lowered his voice and gazed at me intently.