Two // Ben freaking Jones

Oliver Greene

"Ben freaking Jones?" Mia screeched after I'd broken the news to the lunch table. I nodded, taking a bite out of my sandwich.

"Yeah. But he's refusing my help. So I guess he's getting kicked off the team." I said with a shrug. Mia's eyes widened and she gripped my shoulders.

"Oliver! You can't let that happen! Ben is the best player Eastside has! If we lose him we'll be completely screwed and we'll never make it to the playoffs!" she exclaimed.

"Yeah, Jones is the best quarterback we've got. If he's gone we're gonna be decimated this season." Alex added.

"Why does everyone care so much about football?" I asked, exasperated.

"It's our last year, Oliver! We need to go out with a bang! Don't you want good memories for senior year football games?" Mia asked. I shrugged.

"I don't know. I guess I just don't care that much." I replied.

"Dude, your brother is on the team." Jack laughed.

"Yeah, but he still has two years on the team! This isn't some life or death situation." I replied. Mia sighed dramatically.

"Oliver, I don't know how to get this through your head. Please try to talk to him again." Mia pleaded. I rolled my eyes.

"Fine. I'll try to talk to him tomorrow." Mia smiled.

"Good. Now, can you help me with that calc homework? I don't want Mrs. Roset to end me for not having my homework done." I laughed and pulled my homework out of my backpack.

Last period, I sat in the back of Mrs. Newsome's room and was working on research to put together an experiment for the anatomy class. Mrs. Newsome had just finished a lecture and was handing out worksheets.

"Oliver?" she asked.

"Yeah?" I replied, looking up from the laptop in front of me.

"Are you okay with tutoring Ben? I realized I probably should have asked you before." she asked. I nodded, a light smile on my face.

"Yeah, it's fine. I tutor other kids after school sometimes, so I'm used to it." she smiled and nodded.

"Great! I'm sure you'll help him a lot." she looked back when one of the kids called out her name. "I'm going to go help Brad. Let me know if you need anything." she said.

"Will do." I replied, looking back down at my research.

After the bell rang, I walked to my car, surprised to see my brother standing outside, his foot tapping.

"I thought you had practice?" I asked.

"I do. I just left my cleats in the trunk. Can you hurry up? I don't want to be late." he sighed. I unlocked the car and he opened the trunk and grabbed his shoes.

"Thanks. See you later." he said, closing the trunk and jogging through the parking lot to the football field. I got into the car and headed home, hoping to get a head start on homework before Henry inevitably asked for my help with his pre-calc homework when he got back from practice.

I was nearly done with my biology worksheet when I got a text in the groupchat with Mia, Alex, Jack and Emily.

sooo plans for friday?

Confused by Mia's text, I typed a message and sent it.

what's happening on Friday?

I only had to wait a second before getting a reply.

football game! cmon oliver, your bro is playing!

I laughed at Mia's message and typed out another text.

oh that! does everyone want to go?

A flood of yeses came from everyone.

we can meet up here? i can drive!

Emily responded.

yes! thank you ems!!

Mia responded. I responded, telling them I was volunteering at the shelter Friday night and wouldn't be able to make it, followed by many boos and protests from my friends. I shook my head and put my phone to the side, shifting my attention back to finishing my biology worksheet.