Thirty-Nine // The Stacks

Oliver Greene

I woke up with butterflies in my stomach and Henry knocking on my door.

"Ol! We have to leave in 10!" he called. I looked over at the clock, seeing school started in 20 minutes.

"Oh shit." I murmured swinging my legs off the bed and quickly got ready, pulling on a pair of jeans and a shirt. I grabbed my Harvard sweatshirt from my desk chair, pulling it on as I jogged down the stairs.

"I'll meet you in the car." Henry said, patting my shoulder as he went to the garage, football equipment in hand. I nodded and grabbed a bagel from the kitchen.

"Have a good day, sweetie. Say hi to Ben for me, will you?" she said, taking a sip of coffee, a light smirk on her face.

"Uh, yeah sure." I replied, feeling my cheeks heat up as I shut the fridge door, lunch in hand.

I quickly got into the car, shutting the driver door and jamming the keys into the ignition.

"What's up with you?" Henry asked suddenly.

"What do you mean?" I asked, confused by his question.

"You haven't stopped smiling all morning." he replied, reaching over and pinching my cheek, smirking.

"Hey! I'm driving!" I retorted, waving him off and hoping the blush rising in my cheeks wasn't too obvious.

"So?" Henry pushed. I shrugged, feeling a light smile rest in my face.

"I'm just happy this morning I guess." I replied, shrugging softly.

"Hmm. Wanna share why?" Henry pushed, narrowing his eyes at me. I shrugged again, leaving it at that as I pulled into the school parking lot.

I hurried inside and opened my locker. I started to switch out books, checking the time to see I had a few minutes to get to my first class. I finished putting my notebooks into my backpack and slung it over my shoulder as I heard the warning bell ring.

As I made my way towards my class, I felt my
phone buzz and looked down to see who texted me, suddenly feeling my body collide with something.

"Oh shit, sorry - Ollie?" I looked up to see Ben standing in front of me.

"Uh, hey." I said. I was suddenly very aware of Ben's hand on my arm, keeping me from falling over. His hand slowly trailed down my arm, making sure I was steady.

"Are you okay? You seem like you're in a hurry." Ben chuckled. I smiled, my stomach full of butterflies as Ben's hand brushed over mine.

"Yeah, just heading to class." I replied, gesturing down the hall. Ben nodded, smiling lightly at me.

"It's nice to see you." he whispered, brushing his hand against mine again. I felt my cheeks burn, trying to restrain myself from lacing my fingers with his.

"Yeah, it's nice to see you too." I whispered back. My eyes flicked down to Ben's lips, making me lower my head and bite my lip. The sound of voices around the corner made me look over my shoulder and Ben move slightly farther away from me. "I should get going." I said.

"Yeah, me too. I'll see you later?" Ben asked. I nodded.

"Of course. See you later." Ben grinned and nodded.

"Bye, Ollie." he smirked. I smiled before turning and heading towards my class.

- - - -

The sun was already starting to set as I walked into the building, heading straight for the library. I took my key out and opened the door, flipping on a few light switches before heading to the usual table we sat at.