Forty-Two // Chivalry Isn't Dead

Oliver Greene

Mia had just dropped me off at my house and I was sitting on the couch when I got a text.

David and I are going to dinner. Henry's going out with the team. Would you like to join us?

I smiled, remembering mom had invited David to the game so he could at least see the team play, even if Henry wasn't able to right now.

I'm just gonna hang at home. have fun:)

I sent the message just as my phone started ringing, Ben's name appearing on my screen.

"Hey, Jones." I answered, earning a chuckle from Ben.

"Hey, Greene." he said, making my lips quirk up into a smile. "Are you free?"

"Yeah. Why?" I asked.

"I'll be there in 5." he responded. I could hear the smirk in his voice.

"What? Why?" I asked again.

"Just be ready in five. See you, Ollie."

"Okay. See you." I said, hanging up. I stood up and pulled my shoes and jacket on. I went outside and sat on the porch, locking the front door behind me. Ben pulled into the driveway a few minutes later. I stood up, dusting myself off as I walked over to Ben's car.

I opened the door, Ben's smiling face greeting me. I slid into the car, noticing his hair was wet from his post-game shower.

"Hi." I greeted. Ben leaned forward, capturing my lips with his for a moment.

"Hi." he whispered against my lips before pulling away so I could buckle.

"Where are we going?" I asked again.

"Still not telling." Ben shot me a smile before pulling out of my driveway. He reached over and grabbed my hand, lacing our fingers together. I squeezed his hand.

"You did great tonight." I said. Ben rolled his eyes.

"You already said that." he grinned.

"I know. Just wanted to say it again." I shrugged.

"Well thank you." he said, raising our hands to his lips and pressing a light kiss to the back of my hand.

"I saw one of the scouts talking to you when you were with coach." I said. Ben smiled wider and nodded.

"Yeah."

"Care to elaborate?" I asked. Ben shook his head.

"Not right now." he answered, pulling into the McDonald's drive thru.

"This is the oh so secret plan?" I laughed.

"Not all of it!" Ben defended. "What do you want?" he asked.

"Milkshake, strawberry. And fries." Ben scrunched up his face in disgust. "What?" I asked.

"Strawberry." he said, shaking his head.

"Hey! It's not that bad! You're going to try it and you'll see." I responded.

"Doubt it." Ben said, scrunching up his face again.

He ordered and paid, pulling up to the last window and collecting our food. I opened the bag and started munching on the fries.

"I want some." Ben whined. I rolled my eyes and grabbed a few holding them out to him. He glanced at me before taking a bite of them, still in my hands.

"Ben!" I laughed.

"What? I've got my hands full!" he said, tapping his hands on the steering wheel. I sighed loudly and held them out to him so he could grab them. He took them from my hands and finished them off. "Don't eat them all yet." Ben chided. I rolled my eyes.