Fifty-Five // Come on, Lovebirds

Benjamin Jones

My parents and I walked around the outside of the Greene's house to the backyard, following the homemade signs written in Ollie's handwriting. My mom gasped when we reached the backyard.

"Oh this is just gorgeous, isn't it Bill?" my mom gushed.

"It really is. Oliver did a lovely job with the garden." my dad pointed out. I smiled, my heart swelling as I looked at the large, luscious garden Ollie had finally been able to work in when the weather warmed up in the spring.

The back stone porch was cleared of its usual furniture and featured a table with pictures of Oliver's mom and soon to be step-dad. The guest book was in the middle, along with a polaroid camera for guests to take pictures and include in their note. The aisle followed the garden, full of flowers in full bloom. Chairs were set out in front of an archway beyond the garden, underneath one of the larger trees. As my parents signed the guest book and admired the pictures, I looked around for Ollie. I saw Henry ushering people to their seats, laughing and smiling with family members.

"I'll be right back." I said to my parents, before walking over to Henry.

"Hey, Ben." he greeted with a smile.

"Hey, Greene. Do you know where Ollie is?" I asked. He smirked and nodded.

"Yeah, he's helping mom out inside right now. He's been running around all morning trying to get everything together, so he's a little all over the place right now. He should be down in a little bit, but you can go inside and look for him if you want." Henry offered.

"Thanks, Henry." I said, smiling at him in thanks before turning to see my parents finishing up their note in the guest book.

"Oh, there you are. Get in here, Benny, we're going to take a picture." my mom said, holding the camera away from us and clicking the button. We were laughing at the picture as it developed when I heard the back door open. I looked up to see Ollie stepping outside, looking slightly frazzled.

I immediately smiled at the sight of him. He was wearing a navy suit, a white shirt underneath the suit jacket, and a light pink rose pinned to his jacket. His hair was blowing in the breeze, pushing it out of his eyes. He let out a breath just as his eyes met mine, a smile growing on his face. I strided over to him and placed a light kiss on his cheek.

"Hi." he said.

"Hi." I responded. Ollie smiled and ran a hand through his hair. "Busy morning?" I asked. He nodded.

"Yeah. But it's all worth it. She's really excited." he replied, a smile on his face as he talked about his mom.

"I'm glad." I responded, reaching forward to lace my fingers with his. He smiled and leaned forward, placing a light kiss on my lips.

"You look really good." he said, his eyes looking me up and down. I chuckled.

"You're one to talk." I murmured, shooting him a smirk. Ollie chuckled and shook his head, a light blush dusting his cheeks.

"Shut up." he mumbled. I cocked my eyebrow up.

"You wanna make me?" I teased, a smirk still on my face. His cheeks darkened as he shook his head, smiling.

"Turn around you two! Let us get a picture of you!" my mom said, holding the polaroid in her hands. I unlatched our hands and wrapped my arm around Ollie's back, holding on to his side. He mirrored me and leaned his head towards me, our cheeks nearly touching.

"Okay, 1, 2, 3!" my mom said. On three, Ollie turned his head and pressed a kiss to my cheek just as the camera flashed. I looked over to him, slightly shocked by his actions. He smiled back at me and squeezed my side.