Forty-Three // Better Than Okay

Oliver Greene

Ben made me pancakes the next morning, both of us dawdling to stretch our time together to last as long as possible. I wrapped my arms around his torso from behind as he worked on the pancakes, placing a light kiss on his shoulder blade. I slowly unwrapped myself from him and placed a light kiss on his cheek as he handed me a plate.

"Someone's affectionate this morning." Ben mused.

"Sorry?" I said with a questioning tone. Ben chuckled and shook his head.

"Nothing to be sorry about. I like it." he said, winking at me. I rolled my eyes and watched as he continued to flip the pancakes. Once he was done and sitting next to me, I knocked his foot with mine. He shook his head and knocked my foot back, taking a bite of pancakes with a grin on his face.

Suddenly, Ben's parents walked through the front door quietly talking to one another. Ben and I exchanged glances, me slightly panicked and Ben confused. They entered the kitchen to see us sitting at the island, me in a pair of Ben's sweatpants and sweatshirt with JONES 15 plastered on the back and Ben wearing a t-shirt and pajama pants.

"Oh! Oliver, we didn't know you were here." Mrs. Jones said.

"Sorry for the intrusion, Mrs. Jones." I sheepishly replied.

"No worries at all, dear. Ben just didn't tell us he had a guest over." she said, a knowing smile playing on her lips as she looked over at Ben.

"We were hanging out after the game." Ben shrugged. "Decided to stay the night." Ben continued after shoving a forkful of pancake into his mouth, gesturing towards me.

"Don't talk with your mouth full, Benjamin." Mr. Jones scolded. "Good morning, Oliver. It's nice to see you again." Mr. Jones directed to me.

"Nice to see you as well, Mr. Jones." I replied. "Actually, I should probably get going." I said, checking the time on the clock hanging on the wall. "I'm pretty sure David is coming over for lunch." I said, looking over at Ben who gave me a nod.

"Sure. I can drive you." he offered.

"Please." I accepted. I took our empty plates and put them in the sink before Ben excused us and we went back up to his room so I could collect my things.

"Sorry, I didn't know they'd be coming back so early." Ben apologized.

"It's alright. I should get home anyway." I said, offering him a soft smile. Ben nodded and strided over to me, wrapping his arms around my waist and kissing my forehead. I melted into his touch, letting out a content sigh as I wrapped my arms around him. "You're making it really hard for me to want to leave." I murmured into Ben's chest. He chuckled and kissed the top of my head.

"Maybe that's my plan." he chuckled. I lifted my head off his chest and lifted a hand to his face, stroking along his cheek. Ben leaned into my touch, turning his head and kissing the palm of my hand. He pressed a feather light kiss on my nose before pressing his lips to mine in the softest, most delicate kiss we'd shared. My chest fluttered and I gently pulled away, my eyes slowly opening to see Ben staring at me.

"I really need to get going." I whispered.

"Okay." he whispered back. I slowly pulled out of his grasp and turned to grab my things. I changed into my jeans from the day before while Ben was in the bathroom brushing his teeth. I unplugged my phone from a charger and put the sweatpants Ben let me borrow into his hamper.

I sat on the edge of Ben's bed, scrolling through my phone while I waited for him. I glanced up at Ben when I heard the bathroom door open. He grinned when he saw me.