°•°Chapter 9°•°

"No one ever fell in love gracefully."
Connie Brockway.

Reese's POV.

Feeling my neck hurt, I open my eyes only to realize that Irene is so close to me. My breath hitches as I look at her face which is half-covered with a few strands of her hair, her lips looking kissable as ever. Damn, Reese! Kissable?! Stop being a creep!

Shaking my head off all the thoughts I pull myself back far from her, what is she doing to me?! Its been six days or rather triple the time in which we could've reached L.A. if it didn't rain this bad. But so far the trip is going extremely well and only probably because I've got company, I probably would've been going crazy by now if I was alone.

Despite all the awkwardness that Irene felt at times when she has a nightmare and she wakes up in tears, everything has been amazing. She made me feel this happiness I missed for a long time and that made me want to yell at myself for feeling things for her. How the hell can one girl just change you that much in six days? Yeah, it's crazy.

There were times when I noticed her staring at me while I drive and that made me feel...good? It's fucked up mixed feelings and I need to get to L.A. so that we both can go our separate ways. That way I can at least not think about her and feel anything for her.

Grabbing my phone, I realize it's already 8 in the morning but the sky is still extremely cloudy with the rain which doesn't seem to have an end. We couldn't even move from this place for over twenty-four hours now so imagine how stiff our bodies are getting sleeping in here. Can't even use the cargo bed to sleep due to the rain, yay us.

I just can't wait for the stupid rain to stop, just long enough for both of us to get out and stretch out bodies a bit before at least before I am permanently stuck in this weird position. Being tall does have fucked up cons like this.

My phone goes off and I sigh, Ray. "Hey, Ray,"

"I told you there was a storm in the forecast before you started," his accusing tone makes me roll my eyes but that's expected from Ray.

"Well, I'm alright, just having to crash in my car," I say with my gaze falling onto Irene's beautiful face. Beautiful? Sighing I look away from her, I didn't tell anyone about Irene till now. I wouldn't want to put her in danger now and I promised to get her to L.A. safely. Alex has gotten her all too scared of him and as if I didn't hate the guy already, every time she has a nightmare, I feel like killing the guy.

"Reese?" damn, Ray is still on the phone. Nicely done Reese, getting lost in Irene's thoughts.

"Yup?"

"I've got work to get to but keep updating me on where you are. Stay safe," he says in a hurry before dropping the call. Typical Ray.

I look for the water bottle and find it in the holder attached to the door on Irene's side, damn it. Leaning over, I try not to make any movement that'd disturb her but hot breath on my shoulder makes all my senses go haywire. Closing my eyes, I grab the bottle while trying to get my breathing into control and quickly get back to my seat.

"Reese," Irene's voice holds me frozen in place and my gaze meets her sleepy look. Our faces are just a few inches apart and her breathing goes erratic just like mine noticing our compromising situation. This was exactly what I was worried about, finding ourselves in this situation especially while I started to feel something for her.

Letting my free hand close to her face, I tuck a strand of hair behind her ear. Her lips part a little while she gasps at my touch, as if realizing how messed up it'd get if I kiss her, I pull back.

"Uh... just wanted some water," I say but could see her flustered face before looking away. That was close, way too close and I don't think I can stop myself from the thoughts of kissing her.

Quickly gulping down some water I try not looking at her again, Alex did enough damage, I don't have to add up to it. I could feel her gaze on me but I didn't dare to look her way, I probably would end up kissing her this time, "Water?"

I ask her finally mounting the courage to look at her, "Thank you," she says still looking down with a clear blush still staining her cheeks as she grabs the water bottle from my hand. Nope, her blushing isn't helping either.

Don't let yourself feel any more than you already do idiot!

"I'll be right back, I need to fresh up," Irene announces getting my attention before looking away, the fucking tension between us is still lacing around so yup it'd be nice to be able to breathe without trying to avoid her.

"Okay," with that she just runs through the now reducing rain into the departmental store to use the washroom only after grabbing some stuff she needed.

"I definitely got my emotions fucked up now," I whisper smacking my hand against my forehead as I look at her walk away. The thing is, she didn't even have to do anything to make me feel this way. Just everything about her makes me feel the need to have her in my arms. She's beautiful inside out and that's what makes me want to have her in my life.

I just so fucking hope that the rain stops soon enough so that I can get her to her destination before my feelings for her get out of control.

Reminder, don't fuck things up.

~•~•~•

Irene's laugh makes me smile as we watched Murder Mystery, "That's so funny!" she says leaning on my shoulder unconsciously before grabbing another Dorito.

Luckily I charged the laptop while we stopped for lunch or we would be bored out our minds or sleeping by now. The sound of rain hitting the car was comforting and seems like I cannot concentrate on the movie anymore with Irene on my shoulder. We did find ourselves resting on each other almost every morning but this was different and we were pretty damn awake. It's a normal thing between us since we've considered ourselves friends but my feelings aren't stopping at that.

"I do need a drink now," I tell her moving a little to grab the bottles of beer we bought on the way. Honestly, I just needed anything to distract myself from her.

Pointing a bottle in her direction, I raise my eyebrow as she readily grabs it, guesses I'm not the only one needing distraction. "Could we please have the chicken nuggets now?" she asks me with a smile while I open up the bottle. Damn, that smile of hers.

"Sure," I say leaning back to grab the box of cold chicken nuggets. Don't judge us, living in a car is way difficult, and sitting idle is even worse so we're eating to keep ourselves occupied. Pretty sure, we're both going to end up fat at the end of this trip but no complaints really.

"Thanks for everything, Reese," Irene says surprising me before lifting her head off my shoulder and kissing my cheek making me sit frozen in place. My heart races as all the emotions that I've been trying to avoid hit me all at once.

Trying to maintain my composure, I take in a shaky breath running my hair through my hair before responding to the amazing girl next to me, "Anytime,"

Clinking our bottles together as her face radiates with a smile, I end up smiling through my still surprised state. Now I doubt there's anything that can stop me from falling for this amazing girl.

~•~•~•