ten

Judes POV

Spoiler alert I didn't leave. I never do. After all our pointless arguments I know he needs me and I know he knows that as well, I know he could never run this kingdom without me, who would write all his letters, sort out finances, organise the balls and dances.

Light pooled into my room like golden syrup and I groaned, no sleep again. So many nights wasted over that stupid rich boy...or faerie rather. I whipped the sheets off my legs and stood up, half heartedly I looked into the mirror and shuddered. My under eyes were coal black, my hair looked like rats tails and my lips were chapped and chewed. I should probably fix this, but it can wait. Quickly, I look over the the never ending pile on my desk that had been silently added to this morning, I will never answer all these. Also, I have a strange feeling that Carson writes and adds fake letters to the pile just to laugh at me as I waste my time replying, oh well I guess I'll never know since I've made the wise decision to NEVER talk to him EVER again. Begrudgingly, I collapsed onto my chair and out of the corner of my eye I spotted it. A beautiful golden envelope sealed with blood red wax that read

Addressed to the King

In the same blood red colour on the front. Timidly, I reached for it, I knew Cardin was never going to answer it, read or write? Oh no that's far out of Cardan's capabilities, I internally snorted. As I peeled back the wax and drew out the letter, the card was thick and had the same luxurious gold colour, it read.

Dear King Cardan
I hope this letter finds you in good health. I'm sorry to say sir but you are on borrowed time and you know it. You have known it ever since your coronation. Your human pet isn't allowed here, we've cleared out any human connection due to their danger and Jude is just as dangerous, she must go, dispose of her and I don't care how.
You have one month

Shakily, I put the letter back in the envelope and went to sit down on my bed. My whole life flashed before my eyes and I feel like I'm falling into a deep pit and I'm scratching and scratching at the walls but they are slippy and made of metal. I was taken from my world, made a stranger in it, then introduced to a different world, where I am different, I am once again a stranger. I am caught in the limbo between the two worlds and I can't figure out which ones heaven and which is hell, I guess it's whichever side feels hotter. I try to stand up but my legs turn to jelly and they crumble beneath me. I need to figure out what to do next.

I can't let him know that I know what he's going to try to do to me within the next month. I need to act normal, in fact I need to act more than normal, I need to be...erm...nice. It might help me it might provoke a feeling of sympathy, deep down in his black and cold heart made of charcoal. I reseal the letter, making sure to leave it as neat and un tampered with as possible, my hands are still shaking so it takes longer than I'd hoped. I need to give it to Cardan. It's still early so I'm hoping he's still asleep.

Slowly, I made my way out of my room and along the corridor until I stood face to face with his door, I cringed in memory at the last thing that had happened when I last stood at this door merely the night prior, though it feels like centuries ago with what I've since found out. I slipped the letter underneath his door and scuttled back to my room like a hermit crab, I guess that's a good description of me really, and grabbed a notebook and quill to start writing out a plan, I bloody love a plan.

Next step, pack necessities and keep them stashed under my bed, weapons, clothes, emergency food in case I'm out alone for a long time, blankets. In case of emergency or I need to make a quick getaway. I grab all of the required items and shove them into a brown leather rucksack to make it easier to carry, another plus and thumbs up to the human world for that creation.

I try my best to think of a next step but the adrenaline rush of panic that flew into my a few minutes prior, quickly ran out like a battery and I slumped onto my bed. Birds where chirping and singing outside, almost like they were singing hello or morning to each other. The pool of golden syrup sunlight was huge now and filled my entire room, it was enticing me to sleep, to give into the warmth, to regenerate my every muscle and bone, to rejuvenate the adrenaline and stress that had been carrying me for the last few days, weeks, months. Working for Cardan was hard, it wasn't a job for a human.

And they knew it.