009

The three hostages were sitting at a distance, two officers are consoling them. They were deeply traumatized, but there was one who was obviously terrified. Geneva Sanders, the friend of Hailey, was trembling as her eyes gazed at the shop. Her friend just saved her life, and now she was in danger. She must do something to save her too. After taking few deep breaths, she weakly stood up and walked towards the detective, who was talking to his childhood friend.

“Are you sure about sending her there, Shinichi?” asked Ran as she stared worriedly at the souvenir shop.

“I…I don’t know, Ran.” He answered. “but she seems capable. We’ll figure things out.”

“Shinichi-san…” Geneva called in a voice just louder than a whisper.

Both the raven-haired teenagers turned in her direction.

“Geneva-san.” Ran acknowledged as she approached her, thoughtfully grasping her hand to make her feel safe. “Are you okay now?”

Geneva smiled sadly as she shook her head. “Honestly, no. Knowing that Hail is in there with those bastards. She…” she trailed off, and a tear fell from her eyes. Ran put a hand on her shoulder. “I put her in danger.” She whispered, as her shoulders shook. “Oh gods, I put her there.” She said, hysteria slowly seeping in her eyes as the realization hits her.

“That’s not true, Geneva-san. It’s not your fault.” Ran rubbed her hand on her shoulder as she tried to console her.

Geneva shook her head as tears continue to fall out. She covered her face with her hand. “No. I literally beg her to come here. Oh gods, she doesn’t even want to go back here, and now. Oh my gods.” She rambled and Shinichi and Ran looked at her in confusion at what she said.

Shinichi felt his heart thundered for no apparent reason. He remembered their last talk at the café. “Wh-what do you mean she doesn’t want to go back here?”

Geneva looked at him, as she wipes the tears that are continuously falling from her eyes. “Hail doesn’t want to go back here in Japan anymore but I technically forced her to. She wanted to avoid you, Shinichi-san.” She said as she took a step towards him. Shinichi, as well as Ran, stared at her in confusion and shock. “Please, save her. She’ll hate me for this but please, save her.”

“W-wait. Why?” Shinichi’s voice cracked.

“She doesn’t want you to know who she really is.” She answered absent-mindedly, as her shoulders shook again. She's not thinkinh the words that are coming out of her mouth. There were too many things running in her mind. “Please…” she begs.

Shinichi just stared at her. He was currently lost for words. “What--…”

He was about to ask her what she meant, but then he saw Megure and his officers rushing inside. Gunshots were heard, and then everything just happened in a blur. And before the three teens knew it, the police were handcuffing the criminals. The three swiftly ran towards the shop to find Hailey.

Shinichi was the first to spot her. She was trembling, leaning weakly in the cashier counter.

And then his body just moved on his own. His feet took giant strides, and he enveloped her in his arms. The scientist jumped a bit in surprise, and as if in reflex, her body relaxed with his touch. She felt safe.

Neither Ran nor Geneva moved or speak, while they look at the two in shock. Shinichi, on the other hand, wrapped his arms around the woman, who was also unmoving. He closed his eyes and inhaled her scent.

“You’re okay. You're safe now.” He whispered in her ear. The warmth of his breath on her skin caused goosebumps on her neck. It was a tingling sensation.

“Kudo-kun…” she whispered, and Kudo just froze on the spot. The way she said his name was so eerily familiar.

He stared deeply into her eyes, and he can’t help but see the resemblance.

“Haibara?” he said unconsciously. There was confusion in his eyes, but there was also…hope?

Hailey, on the other hand, pulled back from his arms when he called her by that name. She stared in horror as she felt her world tilt. The detective just called her by her name.

Does he…?’ she mentally asked as thousands of thoughts ran in her mind.

But before both of them can talk, Inspector Megure walked in just in time…again.

“Shinoba-san…”

Hailey automatically put on her poker face, as she strategically took a few steps back and avoided the detective’s piercing gaze.

“Inspector…” she acknowledged.

“We caught all the criminals.” He stated. “Are you okay?”

She nodded. Geneva rushed to her side. She smiled at her.

“Would you like to go to the station to give a statement?” Megure asks, a bit hesitant.

She give a quick glance at the detective, who was still staring intensely at her. She felt like he can pierce a hole in her with his stare. It was obvious he wants to talk to her, and heaven knows what he will ask.

“Yes. ” She answered, and walked towards the door quickly. Oh, she would do anything to avoid the detective for the time being.

“Geneva, let’s go.” Shiho called and took her friend's hand, her eyes talking silently. Geneva seems to get the message. She walked by her side, with Inspector Megure following behind.

There was uncertainty in Geneva’s eyes as she looks back at the detective who seems to have frozen in his place. Ran was also standing at the entrance, unsure of what to think of the situation. Geneva bowed at Ran and Shinichi before they walk out of sight.

The detective just stood and watched them walk away. He can’t think straight at the moment.

***

this work-from-home shite is stressing me out. does anybody realize that not everyone has good signal reception and doesn't have an access to good internet connection?

and idk if it's just me, but wattpad seems to be messing with me. it keeps on jumbling the order of my drafts, triggering my inner OCD so i just deleted all my drafts to make it stop. how twisted. okay, now i'm rambling. ha ha s'rry