020

“What the hell, Hattori? Stop laughing!” Shinichi Kudo made it sure that the annoyance in his voice is obvious while talking to his best friend on the phone. “This is a bad idea.” He muttered.

Hattori instantly recovers, although a snort can still be heard on the other line which means he’s holding his laughter. “Oi, Kudo! You’re right to go to me!” he pointed out and Shinichi can instantly imagine the inanimate look on his face. “I’m the great detective of the West, ya know! Of course, I have some great advices for…” he faltered a bit, before he snorted again, “your love life.”

Shinichi rolled his eyes. “So what is it? O great detective?” he mocked.

Hattori doesn’t mind though. “You should take her out on a date, idiot.”

Shinichi stopped himself from giving another eyeroll. “As if I didn’t think of that.” He scoffed.

“Then what’s the matter?” Hattori asked curiously.

Shinichi grimaced, thinking of a certain scientist. “I told you already. I asked for a chance. She gave it to me. Well, supposedly, I think. And now she’s almost running the opposite direction every damn time she sees me! A dinner isn’t asking for too much, is it?” he asked in frustration.

Hattori sighed on the other line. He was silent for a moment before he suggested, “Maybe you shouldn’t ask?”

Shinichi seems lost for a moment. “What?”

“Don’t ask her anything. Just do it. Then she wouldn’t have any other choice but to follow. Don’t ever give her a chance to decide cause she will surely choose the negative.”

Shinichi massaged his temple with his left hand, while the grip of his right hand on his phone tightened. Hattori was right! All this time, he had been tossing out invitations, giving Shiho a chance to decide. And knowing Shiho, she probably doesn’t want to be bothered by him.

Shinichi nodded, although his friend will not see it. “You have a point. I think I’ll do that.”

“Oh yeah?” Hattori snickered. “Told ya, I’m great.”

Shinichi should have snorted if he hadn’t suggested a great idea. “Thanks Hattori.”

Maybe calling his best friend is not a bad idea at all.

***

At the same time…

“Hail, remember that convention Mr. Ingram was talking about? That one where you wanted to attend?” Shiho heard Geneva asked while they were busy waiting for the result of their experiment in the university laboratory.

Shiho stared at her computer before she gave a lazy glance at her brown-haired companion. “What about it?” she asked.

“Well, Mr. Ingram told me yesterday that it will be in two days. Says we should prepare.” Her friend answered nonchalantly, not looking at her. Like Shiho, she was busy watching the computer process the different data they had collected earlier. A series of numerical sequences flashed in the screen before it showed a scientific formula.

Shiho cocked an eyebrow. “Just the two of us?”

Geneva shrugged her shoulders before answering, her eyes had a certain glint that Shiho can’t really identify. “Apparently. But you'll never know, right?”

***

The next day

Shiho busied herself throughout the days that followed after that day in that abandoned playground. She had her thesis due before the science convention which is only two days away. Not that she was complaining though, because it gives her a valid reason to avoid a certain raven-haired man.

Of course, the detective was still persistent. That day, he told her he’ll make her fall for him, and she would be lying if she says she didn’t notice that he had been doing extra effort to her. And it also took a greater amount of effort on her side to avoid him. Not that she did not like it though, she was just scared, she thought. Everything he had been doing is new to her, and it was definitely out of her experience when she was still at the organization.

And there is that reason where she believed she did not deserve him. Or his efforts.

“You need to rest, Hailey,” Geneva’s voice pulled her out of her thoughts. She was giving her a worried look. “You should see your face right now. You have these terrible bags under your eyes, girl.”

Shiho looked up from the paper she was reading, and extends her hand to get the cup of coffee in the table. She had been living out of coffee since last night, and honestly, she was ready to sleep, maybe until forever. But she still had to finish the last two chapters for her thesis. Ah, she wondered why she was trying so hard. Maybe because she really wanted to do well on her course. And these past days, she had been immensely distracted because of a certain detective.

The science convention would be on two days. After that, she could rest because it’ll be their winter break. Ah, how she envied the detective for his long winter break. Come to think of it, he was staying in New York for almost half a month now. How long will he stay here, she wonders.

“Hey,” Geneva called her attention again. “You sure you’re okay?”

She weakly nodded. “I need to get this done.” She murmured as she returned her eyes to the paper she was previously reading. She winced when she realized she had stayed on that same page for a long time now.

“You don’t want to get sick at the convention, you know.” Geneva remarked as she glanced at the clock hanging on the wall. “It’s late, we should get going.”

Shiho glanced at the clock too. It was almost six. No wonder, many tables were now empty. She also noticed how the librarian had been giving them a wary look. She sighed as she gathered her things. She glanced at the now empty cup of coffee on the table. She badly needed a new one.

“You sure you can go home alone?” Geneva asked her as they exit the university gate. “You look like you’re about to faint.”

“I’m alright.” She replied as she waved her hand off to drive her friend away. Seriously, she can handle herself, she thinks, or that's what she would like to believe. 

Her friend seems to think otherwise though, “Kudo-san won’t like this.”

Shiho narrowed her eyes at the mention of the detective. “Don’t let him into this.”

Geneva smirked mischievously.

Shiho definitely did not like the look on her friend’s face.

***

no ShinShi moments, 'cause they need space. haha

how are you guys? the quarantine is taking a toll on me, i guess. i just pray you are all alright.

and if it's not too much, will you give me some prompt ideas? my brain is not working!
(๑•́ ₃ •̀๑)♡♡♡