017

Shinichi found her on the farthest section of the library. He was facing her back, and she is not yet aware of his presence. He took the time to observe how regal she is, just standing there with a book on her hand. She was not wearing her glasses today, which is kinda new, but he still liked it because now, he can see her turquoise eyes more clearly.

He looked around the library. Only few people are inside, many of which were taking a nap on the tables a few meters away. They were the only ones on that section.

He faked a cough, and she turned instantly, alert of someone’s presence. If she was surprised that it was him, it did not show on her face.

"Hey..." she said, not really sure what to say.

"Hey..." he answered back awkwardly.

"It's been so long since I saw you. Are you fine?" Shiho asked casually, although she just saw him the other day.

Shinichi, on the other hand, seems to grasp her thoughts. 'She thought I don't remember.' His lips slowly curved up in a smirk. "Funny," he started, "I remember seeing you in my flat the other day."

If Shiho was surprised, she definitely did not show it. "Must be a dream." she replied quickly but her eyes were avoiding his inquisitive gaze.

Shinichi tilted his head, like he was thinking about her reply. He knows she will deny her visit. That's how stubborn she is. 

"Must be a pretty realistic dream then," he said. He tried to caught her eyes. "There was a towel on my forehead and a food on my table when I woke up."

"Right." she mumbled.

"I saw you," he insisted, this time taking a step towards her. "You came when I was sick."

This time, the scientist did not answer. He leaned his head a bit and made her look at him. "I may be sick but I remembered everything, Shiho." he whispered, his voice a bit pleading for her confirmation. He needs to know if what he remembers is real.

He took her right hand, and squeezed it gently. "I remembered kissing you. Why do I remember kissing you?" he asked, almost in a whisper.

Shiho closed her eyes for a second. Looking into the detective's eyes seems to hypnotize her. The words escaped from sher mouth before she even realized it. "That kiss doesn't matter," she wished she sounded nonchalant. "It's not as if I have feelings for you." she denied, although she can feel her heart breaking. She hopes the detective doesn't recognize the break in her voice.

There was pain in his eyes. "Does it really not affect you?" he asked seriously after a moment of trying (and failing miserably) to read her eyes.

"Yes."

He took one step closer to her, making their distance just mere inches. She forced herself to look unaffected.

"What if I kiss you right now?" he asked, as he continued to walked dangerously closer to her.

Her breath hitched for a second.

"I told you I—"

Now he was so near, the gap between them was almost zero. She can see his face literally centimeters away.

"You're a scientist, and I'm a detective. We both need evidences to prove a point, right?" he asked in a whisper.

His breath was tickling her, and his eyes were staring deeply into her soul. There was tension between them, and she doesn't even know if she was still breathing. She's afraid that if she moves, there will be a spark in the air.

The detective averted his eyes just to look at her lips, and maybe it was a wrong move for he suddenly felt the urge to close that small gap between them. He gulped. That action made Shiho conscious that she felt her lips becoming dry so she wet it with her tongue. Shinichi suddenly felt his heart on his throat, and it's making it hard to breathe. He leaned down, and the sudden movement made Shiho look at him. The tip of her nose brushed against his. She was so close to him, that he can smell her scent, and it was awfully distracting. Without any warning, he leaned in to claim her lips.

She stiffened instantly. And then her world stops, if not quite literally. It seems like everything else stopped moving, and it was just them. Him and her. She can feel his soft lips still on hers, and it feels heavenly. The kiss was gentle and passionate, like he was afraid she will push him away, but there was enough pressure for her to know that he meant it.

Just half a minute had passed before he pulls away yet it felt like it was a lot longer. He was breathing heavily and Shiho lowered her head awkwardly shifting her eyes to anything but his face. He can feel his face warming up, and he can also see a hint of pink on her cheeks.

He had kissed her. Again. On the lips. And unlike last time, there was no fever involved that clouds his sanity. He could not believe the audacity he just mustered.

He decided to push his luck a bit more. He held his right hand up to touch her face, and make her look at him. "Now tell me if that did not affect you." he asked.

Shiho remained silent. She does not trust herself to speak at the moment. She might voice out something stupid. Shinichi looked at her expectantly. The intensity in his eyes makes her walls waver.

"I..." she starts, but her voice seems to fail her. She does not know what to say. It felt like such a long time since she remembered herself being this speechless.

He tucked the loose strands of hair that was framing her face on her ear. "Shiho..." he called breathily, "if by chance, even if it's the littlest bit of chance, that that kiss affects you, please, acknowledge the possibility of us. Don't push me away, Shiho." he pleaded, as he knocks their forehead together. "I don't want to lose you."

***

i want your honest comment abt this chap. please?