019

"We can't be together, Kudo-kun. We can never be together."

He unconsciously clenched his fist so tight it was starting to become white. "What did you say?" he asked with quivered lips.

"We can't be together." she repeated quietly, not meeting his eyes.

"Why?" An unknown tear fell.

"You will not understand." she whispered.

Shinichi sighed. They were running in circles again. "What is it?" he insisted.

Deafening silence followed. The only sound they can hear is their ragged heavy breathing. Shinichi take a step forward. The scientist automatically take two steps back.

"Tell me, what is it?" he asked bitterly. "How can you even know that I don't understand it if you don't tell me?"

"I know you too well, Kudo-kun." she answered flatly.

"I know." he agreed, nodding his head. "Then you must also know too damn well that I'm stubborn too. And I can't accept that unreasonable reason you are telling me! Tell me one good reason why we can't be together, Shiho."

Shiho looked at him for a second, before she sighed.

"It's just a phase, Kudo-kun. You don't love me, you love Mouri-san." she stated quietly.

The detective almost rolled his eyes in disbelief. He unconsciously clenched his jaw. "Not that again, Shiho. I told you it's not what you think. And I don't think you get to decide whom I love or not."

"I don't deserve you!" she snapped, not really thinking of the words. It was the first time she said what she truly feel out loud.

Now it was the detective's turn to look at her inquisitively. His cobalt eyes trying so hard to pierce her very mind.

Her faced remained expressionless, though there were some time, just a tiny fraction of a second, when an expression of pain danced in her turquoise eyes. They stared at each other for some time before she looked away.

"Go away, Kudo-kun. Go back to your life. To Mouri-san." she whispered after a minute of silence, her voice almost pleading.

It took a moment for Shinichi to answer. The woman can be very stubborn. "When will you be honest to yourself, Shi?"

Shiho did not dare to answer. She looks at him in the eye, and the expression that greeted her breaks her heart into million pieces. The detective shook his head. His eyes were red, almost crying but he's holding it in.

"Kudo-kun..."

In just a blink of an eye, Shinichi enveloped her in his arms. Suddenly, she can smell his scent. The scientist blinks in disbelief. Shinichi pushed her head to his chest, and Shiho could almost swear she can feel the detective's fast heartbeat.  They stayed like that for a minute before Shinichi decided to speak. His head leaning a bit to whisper directly to her ear.

"I can't. I cannot let you slip off my fingers again. I had lost you for so long, and I think that's already enough." He held her tighter, and Shiho does not know if she will embrace him in return, so she just stood there without moving...or even breathing. He continued, "I don't want to let go Shiho, not now that you've told me you also have feelings for me. And I don't care if you're starting to forget those feelings. I will get them back." He pushed her off a little from his hold to look at her eyes. His eyes were deep with conviction.

"I will make you fall in love with me."

***

i'm seriously considering ending this ff in the previous chap like that but i guess i love y'all too well.

comment me what you think? :) srsly, they do cheer me up.
i'm trying rlly hard, but my brain is failing.