025

In Miyano Shiho’s many years of existence, she had been into many unexpected situations, and almost every time, she can proudly say that she can slyly get out of any sticky situation with grace and sarcasm. But in that moment, when Shinichi Kudo fixed her a look of confusion, expectation and heartbreak, she felt completely frozen. She just stared at him. She can recognize his jaw clenching. From her peripheral vision, she saw Higo giving her a confused look too.

After a couple minutes of tension and silence, Higo cleared his throat, and decided to speak up.

“Hi. I’m Ryusuke Higo, Hailey’s friend.” He introduced, before offering his hand to the detective.

Shinichi looked at Shiho first, before his eyes landed on the brown-haired man then to his offered hand. He shook his hand begrudgingly.

“Shinichi Kudo.” He said his name flatly.

Shinichi locked eyes with Shiho, and for a moment, they had forgotten Higo’s presence with them. They exchanged gazes like they were having a silent conversation, and after some time, the look in the detective’s eyes turned from one of confusion to frustration and dejection. She knew he was hurting. It was as if they can stare at each other eyes forever until Higo spoke.

“I guess I need to go now, Hailey.” He stated, noticing the tension in the air. Shiho nodded weakly before mouthing a silent apology and thanks. Higo nodded in understanding, before he looks at them both and leave.

***

A minute had already passed after Higo left, but neither one of them moved. They were just staring at each other’s eyes. Shiho noticed how the detective was breathing so heavily, like he had run a thousand miles. He looked so distraught, an expression of pain evident on his face.

“I never knew you’re friends with Higo.” He stated, a hint of accusation in his voice.

“We met at the convention,” she replied, not looking at him. She had trouble seeing the look in his face.

“Oh.” Shinichi replied, his jaw clenching unknowingly. Shiho can feel his eyes boring into her. “The convention’s just yesterday, and you’re hanging out like best pals?” he asked. It was impossible to ignore the suggestive tone to his voice.

“What?” she demanded incredulously.

“You even look like you’re dating.” He spat.

“What—” Shiho started to talk, but the words were getting lost because of her complete astonishment.

How could the detective think that about them? They were clearly just hanging out. As friends. Higo was just being a gentleman to offer her a ride home.

“Are you serious?” she asked, still shaking her head in disbelief. “We just met yesterday! Of course, we are not dating!” she denied.

Shinichi looked at her doubtfully. He wanted to believe her, but this is Higo they were talking about! He knew she admires the guy. It was the first time he saw her being friends with a guy besides himself. Of course, he was doubtful. His confidence was drastically diminishing every passing minute.

“Well, you look like it,” he grumbled back.

Shiho rolled her eyes. She can’t believe he can be this unreasonable. Her head was starting to throb from annoyance and confusion.

Shinichi must have noticed that she was not in the mood to talk. But instead of doing the smart thing which was to leave her alone, he reached out and grab her arm. Then he leaned in a little to look directly at her eyes. She had no choice but to meet his stare.

“Shiho…” he looks like he had something to say, but he chose not to. His expression was so conflicted, Shiho can’t make any specific emotion out of it. But the words that left his mouth caught her off guard, “Tell me you don’t like him…” he urged, his voice pleading.

He was still gripping her arm, and she was starting to feel uncomfortable from the contact. She knew she had to get away from him or else she will definitely slip her true feelings up. As much as she wanted to tell it to him, she just couldn’t. A feeling of fear and guilt suddenly surged through her as she continued to stare at him. She didn’t know why but whenever she encountered a surge of strong emotions, fear automatically consumes her. Maybe because she knew everyone will eventually leave her in the end? It’s true anyway, right? Even her sister left her.

Ah, she was scared of being alone again.

“That’s…” she started, avoiding his eyes, “…none of your business.” Her attempt to drive him away was weak, and he knew that. He knew she does not want to talk about it. Shinichi’s expression shifted, and he regarded her with a look of pain and disappointment. Shiho felt her heart constrict in her chest. She attempted to pull away from his grasp but his grip suddenly tightened.

“Kudo-kun, let me go.” She stated with a low voice.

“No,” he said firmly. If it was possible, his grip tightened even more that she felt a bit of pain. “I told you before, I can’t let you go. Not now that I care for you, so damn much.”

“If you care too much,” she snapped, her eyes turning into slits, “then you would leave me alone.” Then she added in a very low whisper, so he can’t hear her, “Everyone always will anyway.”

A look of pain flickered in Shinichi’s eyes, but he quickly covered it up. He stared at her for some time before he let go of her hand, and took a step back.

“Fine. If that’s what you want, I’ll do it.” He turned his back to walk away, but before he did, he glanced at her over his shoulder. His eyes were glistening with overlapping emotions Shiho could not even comprehend.

“Goodbye, Shiho.”

***

I. Am. Back! Was there someone who missed me, and waited for this story? (if there is, then thank you, and I LOVE YOU! ♡♡)
Shite happened, and I know that is a lame excuse for not updating for soooo long but I just can't bring myself to write. S'rry. Just so you know, I'm planning to end this book in two more chapters. Cause if not now, then when? Hahaha (and honestly, if I don't end this now, I don't know if I ever will)