Five

Alistair

I turned to see what made that noise but I saw nothing, I decided I was being paranoid. But once I turned back around to check once again I saw the same black wolf from my dream.

I quickly reached down and grabbed my gun, but just like my dream the wolf was suddenly on top of me and my gun was knocked out of my hands. I screamed and began to squirm, trying to get out of his grip. I remembered I had wolfsbane and I reached down and frantically searched my pockets but the wolf snapped at my face. I screamed once again as he dug his claws into my shoulders and attempted to fight the beast off.

I turned my head as he snapped at my face again, and reached up and tugged at his ear as hard as I could, trying to get him off me, I needed him off me so I could grab something.

This only made him angrier, but something white flashed in the corner of my eye and the wolf was off me.

I rolled out of the way and grabbed my gun and took the vial out of my pocket. I held it up ready to break it but the white wolf stopped and stared at me just like my dream. I froze, too scared to move.

The black wolf began barking and ran off in the same direction I had been walking, but the white wolf never moved. He just stayed there staring at me.

"Who...who are you," I asked.

I jumped in shocked when the wolf began to shift and a boy around my age stood there. I gulped trying not to focus on the fact that he was completely naked. He had black hair, much like the other wolf's, and one icy blue eye and the other a toffee color, that seemed to stare into my soul.

"You're real," he breathed.

I looked at him confused, but the sound of growls and barks began to fill the air. Suddenly six huge wolves appeared.

The boy rushed forward and pushed me being his back as he growled at the others.

"Damon, move!"

I froze. I heard that voice before, I looked over his shoulder to see the man who killed my mom and dad.

"No," the boy growled. The man stood there shocked. The other wolves looked confused as well.

"He's a hunter," the man said again.

"He's my mate," the boy snapped.

Everything stopped as I tried to process what he had just said. I didn't even realize how heavy my breathing became until the boy, or Damon, shook me. It suddenly became aware to me that I was having trouble breathing and everything began to spin. Then I passed out.

~

I woke up in an unfamiliar room, its walls covered in posters of every kind.

I sat up as everything that happened flooded back to me. I pulled off the covers and stopped. The clothes I was wearing were not the ones I came in. In fact, they weren't mine. The shirt covered most of my thighs and the boxers were a bit baggy on me.

"Oh thank god you're awake," a voice said.

I jumped and saw a woman standing in the doorway, she was gorgeous. She looked to be in her mid-twenties and had beautiful golden hair.

"Damon almost had a stroke when he saw you collapse," she said. "He refused to leave your side. I had to drag him out of the room."

"Is the man here?"

She frowned, "What man sweetie?"

"The man who killed my parents."

Her smile softened and something in her eyes changed. She walked over to sit beside me.

"Yes, and I know you're angry and hurting, but all I ask is that you hear him and Damon out," she said as she reached out and smoothed my hair down. "There are two sides to every story."

I felt tears begin to run down my face as she fixed my hair. Her motherly aura made me want her to cradle me in her arms and assure me everything was going to be okay as she kissed my forehead. She made me want everything I missed out on.

The tears began to flow faster and she wrapped her arms around me. I sobbed uncontrollably as she rocked me back and forth, rubbing my back.

"I want my mom," I said as I sobbed into her neck.

"I know," she said. "I know, I'm sorry. I wish I could change the way things are."

It took me a few minutes to calm myself down and clean my face.

"Thank you," I whispered.

She hugged me one last time and left. I sat there and thought about what she said to me. I wanted to hear their stories but I was afraid of what they might say.

For years I've been taught that werewolves were coldblooded monsters, but the love that woman just showed me, a complete stranger, seemed to contradict what I had been taught. It confused me.

"Hey."

I turned to see Damon standing in the doorway with his father behind him.

"Can we talk," he asked.

I took a shaky breath and nodded my head, "Sure."

He smiled.