Ninteen

Alistair

I was up before Damon and I decided to let him sleep. I crept down the stairs and saw his mother sitting at the table.

"What are you doing?"

She looked up, "Looking at old pictures. I might take some for Naomi to keep."

I peered over her shoulder and saw what looked to be a younger version of Damon's dad and another man.

"Who's that?"

"Batair and his father," she said. "That's who Damon got his colors from, he had white fur just like Damon."

His eyes were exactly like Damon's. One blue and one brown.

"Wow."

"Acts more like his father though," she said with a soft chuckle.

"I wish I could have saved him," I said.

She shook her head and grabbed my hand, "He knew what he was doing when he put you both in charge. He knew his time was coming, it was only a matter of how long."

"I wish I could have told him that I forgave him."

She smiled as tears slipped down her cheeks, "I think he knows."

"Don't start the waterworks, you're going to make me cry," Damon said as he limped down the stairs.

She laughed and wiped her eyes, "Goodness knows we don't need that."

"Alright time to pack, we need to leave by tonight so we can make it to Canada by morning."

She nodded and went to her room and I followed Damon back up to his. He groaned as he pulled out his duffle from the top and threw it on his bed.

"We're sharing," he said.

"Fine by me," I said as I began laying clothes into the bag. "We won't be staying too long right."

He shook his head, "Only three days."

I nodded and helped pack his clothes.

"Laptop, chargers, clothes, overnight necessities, I think we're got it all."

I zipped up the bag and grabbed the phone Damon got for me, since I never had one living with my uncle.

We regrouped downstairs and waited for Alice and Kory to finish up.

"We're ready," Alice said.

"Great, I already told Mike we're leaving," Damon said as we all filed out the door. He locked up and Kory went to the garage to pull out their car, while Damon and I were going to be riding in his dad's truck.

His mom started the truck as we closed the doors and the pack waved bye as we left.

Kory and Alice follow behind in their car and I leaned against Damon.

"Should we be leaving so soon," I asked.

"It's fine, the pack has been on their own before. Besides they have some of the best fighters protecting them."

I yawned and leaned farther into Damon.

"Are you still tired," he asked.

I glared at him, "Yes, because someone seemed to think he was in a kickboxing class in his sleep."

His eyes grew wide and his cheeks flushed, "I'm sorry."

"It's fine."

He pulled me closer to him and laid my head in his shoulder, "Here, sleep."

I did as he said and pretty soon I was dead asleep. And I woke up to my head flying into the front seat.

"Crap, sorry. There was a kid," his mom said.

I groaned and rubbed my head, "It's fine."

"We're here!"

I looked out the window and gasped, "It's a neighborhood. They're not living deep in the woods, it's an actual neighborhood, how?"

"Well in Canada people aren't as afraid and against supernatural beings, and hunters are against the law here. So werewolves, vampires, witches, and everything in between and live like normal," Damon explained.

"Wow, it's beautiful."

We pulled into a big three-story brick house that was absolutely breathtaking. It was definitely the biggest house in the entire neighborhood. Kids were running in the front yard laughing and playing.

I threw open the car door and hopped out. I sucked in a deep breath and I could faintly smell food of some sort.

"Pot roast," Damon said as he continued to take deep breaths.

"Yeah it's pack night," Alice said as she walked up beside him. "The pack comes together and they cook and hang out at Naomi's house."

"Right, I forgot she does that."

As we walked up to the front door the smell became much stronger and loud laughter could be heard from inside the house.

Damon knocked on the door and we waited until the door flew open. We were greeted by a woman with dark skin and bright honey-colored eyes that stood out so beautifully. Her brightly colored hair stood out the most, it was multicolored and extremely curly.

She smiled and jumped into Damon's arm.

"Damon I've missed you," she exclaimed. "How's my favorite little rascal?"

"I'm amazing Naomi, how are you?"

"I'm out of this world amazing. You guys need to come in."

She stepped aside and we all walked in. I gasped in awe at the inside of the house. It was so beautiful, with golden yellow walls and large open windows the house felt so happy and big.

"Hi, I don't believe we've met," Naomi said to me.

I turned towards her and she gasped.

"You're Damon's mate, that's why I smell him so much on you."

I smiled shyly and nodded.

She jumped in excitement and pulled me into a bone-crushing hug. Naomi definitely struck me as an energetic and happy person.

"You smell good," she said as she pulled back. "Like maple pancakes. Damon does he smell like that to you."

"Yes, it's amazing isn't it."

She nodded, "Duh, I need a candle that smells like this."

I blushed furiously at the comments and she giggled.

She pulled back and went to hug and greet the others.

"Do I really smell that good?"

Damon nodded and pulled me closer to him, "Better than anything I've ever smelled before."

"So why are you guys here to visit all of the sudden," Naomi asked.

Damon took a deep breath before he answered.

"Dad is dead."