2

╔═══════════════╗

╔═══════════════╗

2. Camp Half-Blood

╚═══════════════╝

Piper, Leo and Jason stood in back of the chariot, while Butch, handled the reins and Annabeth, adjusted a bronze navigation device. Lorna stood next to Butch, occasionally talking to the pegasi.

They rose over the Grand Canyon and headed east, icy wind slapping Lorna in the face. Behind them, more storm clouds were gathering. The chariot lurched and bumped.

"This is so cool!" Leo spit a pegasus feather out of his mouth. "Where are we going?"

"A safe place," Annabeth said. "The only safe place for kids like us. Camp Half-Blood."

"Half-Blood?" Piper spat. "Is that some kind of bad joke?"

"She means we're demigods," Jason said. "Half god, half mortal."

Lorna narrowed her eyes at him. "How did you know? Newcomers usually don't know shit. But, yes, demigods. My dad is Poseidon, god of the sea. Annabeth's mom is Athena, goddess of wisdom. Butch here is the son of Iris, the rainbow goddess."

Leo choked. "Your mom is a rainbow goddess?"

"Got a problem with that?" Butch said.

"No, no," Leo said. "Rainbows. Very macho."

"Lorna can talk to the pegasi, since Poseidon is the lord of horses. Butch is our best equestrian," Annabeth said. "He gets along great with the pegasi."

"Rainbows, ponies," Leo muttered.

"I'm gonna toss you off this chariot," Butch warned.

"Let's do it! It'll be fun!" Lorna exclaimed and Leo looked at her, horrified.

"Demigods," Piper said. "You mean you think you're ... you think we're—"

Lightning flashed. The chariot shuddered, and Jason yelled, "Left wheel's on fire!"

Lorna stepped forward. Sure enough, the wheel was burning, white flames lapping up the side of the chariot. Lorna tried to douse it with water but the wind made the flames bigger. The wind roared. Lorna glanced behind them and saw dark shapes forming in the clouds, more storm spirits spiraling toward the chariot—except these looked more like horses than angels.

"Why are they—" Piper started to say.

"Anemoi come in different shapes," Annabeth said. "Sometimes human, sometimes stallions, depending on how chaotic they are. Hold on. This is going to get rough."

Butch flicked the reins. The pegasi put on a burst of speed, and the chariot blurred. Lorna's stomach crawled into her throat. Her vision went black, and when it came back to normal, they were in a totally different place.