12

╔═══════════════╗

╔═══════════════╗

12. Falling

╚═══════════════╝

Leo passed them some sandwiches from his pack. He'd been quiet ever since they'd told him what happened in the throne room.

"I still can't believe Khione," he said. "She looked so nice."

"Trust me, man," Jason said. "Snow may be pretty, but up close it's cold and nasty. We'll find you a better prom date."

Lorna smiled, but Leo didn't look pleased. He hadn't said much about his time in the palace, or why the Boreads had singled him out for smelling like fire. Lorna got the feeling he was hiding something. Whatever it was, his mood seemed to be affecting Festus, who grumbled and steamed as he tried to keep himself warm in the cold Canadian air. Happy the Dragon was not so happy.

They ate their sandwiches as they flew. Lorna had no idea how Leo had stocked up on supplies, but he'd even remembered to bring veggie rations for Piper. Nobody talked. Whatever they might find in Chicago, they all knew Boreas had only let them go because he figured they were already on a suicide mission. The moon rose and stars turned overhead. Lorna's eyes started to feel heavy.

Lorna woke up screaming, freefalling through the air. Lorna thumbled through the sky. Far below she saw city lights glimmering in the early dawn, and several hundred yards away the body of the bronze dragon spinning out of control, its wings limp, fire flickering in its mouth like a badly wired lightbulb.

A body shot past her—Leo, screaming and frantically grabbing at the clouds. "Not coooooool!"

She tried to call to him, but he was already too far below. Somewhere above her, Jason yelled, "Lorna, level out! Extend your arms and legs!"

It was hard to control her fear, but she did what he said and regained some balance. She fell spread-eagle like a  skydiver, the wind underneath her like a solid block of ice. Then Jason was there, wrapping his arms around her waist.

Thank the gods, Lorna thought.

"We have to get Leo and Piper!" she shouted.

Their fall slowed as Jason controlled the winds, but they still lurched up and down like the winds didn't want to cooperate.

"Gonna get rough," Jason warned. "Hold on!"

Lorna locked her arms around him, and Jason shot toward the ground. Lorna probably screamed, but the sound was ripped from her mouth. Her vision blurred.

And then, thump! They slammed into another warm body —Leo, still wriggling and cursing.

"Stop fighting!" Jason said. "It's me!"