40

╔═══════════════╗

╔═══════════════╗

40. Bunker Nine

╚═══════════════╝

When Leo got to the limestone cliff in the forest, he turned to the group and smiled nervously.

"Here we go." Leo's hand caught fire, and he set it against the door.

His cabinmates gasped.

"Leo!" Nyssa cried. "You're a fire user!"

"Yeah, thanks," he said. "I know."

Jake Mason, who was out of his body cast but still on crutches, said, "Holy Hephaestus. That means—it's so rare that—"

The massive stone door swung open, and everyone's mouth dropped. Leo's flaming hand seemed insignificant now. Only Chiron didn't look surprised. The centaur knit his bushy eyebrows and stroked his beard, as if the group was about to walk through a minefield.

"Welcome to Bunker Nine," Leo said. "C'mon in."

The group was silent as they toured the facility. There were giant machines, worktables, old maps and schematics. Festus's head was sitting on the central table, still battered and scorched from his final crash in Omaha.

Leo went over to it. "I'm sorry, Festus. But I won't forget you. "

Jason put a hand on Leo's shoulder. "Hephaestus brought it here for you?"

Leo nodded.

"But you can't repair him," Jason guessed.

"No way," Leo said. "But the head is going to be reused. Festus will be going with us."

Lorna and Piper came over and frowned. "What do you mean?" Lorna asked.

Before Leo could answer, Nyssa cried out, "Guys, look at this!"

She was standing at one of the worktables, flipping through a sketchbook—diagrams for hundreds of different machines and weapons.

"I've never seen anything like these," Nyssa said. "There are more amazing ideas here than in Daedalus's workshop. It would take a century just to prototype them all."

"Who built this place?" Jake Mason said. "And why?"

Chiron stayed silent, but Lorna focused on the wall map. It showed Camp Half-Blood with a line of triremes in the Sound, catapults mounted in the hills around the valley, and spots marked for traps, trenches, and ambush sites.

"It's a wartime command center," Leo said. "The camp was attacked once, wasn't it?"

"In the Titan War?" Piper asked.