4

╔═══════════════╗

╔═══════════════╗

4. Hera's Message

╚═══════════════╝

Butch carried Lorna to the big house while everyone crowded around them, trying to get a glimpse of what happened.

When they got there, Jason, Annabeth, Rachel and Chiron were tending to Piper.

"Chiron." Butch panted as he strained to carry Lorna.

Jason took over and laid Lorna on a couch.

Chiron came forward and put his hand on Lorna's forehead. "Piper is fine. She'll wake up soon. As for Lorna. . ."

He looked at Lorna with worried eyes.

"Do I really look that bad?" Lorna asked.

"This is not a time for jokes." Rachel chided. "What happened?"

Lorna explained the creepy green mist and the voice while Chiron tended to her.

When she was done, no one spoke, which made her more anxious.

"Someone say something. Am I going mad?" Lorna asked.

"So does this happen often?" Jason asked. "Supernatural phone calls from convicts demanding you bust them out of jail? "

"Your patron," Annabeth said. "Not your godly parent?"

"No, she said patron. She also said my dad had given her my life."

Annabeth frowned. "I've never of heard anything like that before. You said the storm spirit on the skywalk—he claimed to be working for some mistress who was giving him orders, right? Could it be this woman you saw, messing with your mind?"

"I don't think so," Jason said. "If she were my enemy, why would she be asking for my help? She's imprisoned. She's worried about some enemy getting more powerful. Something about a king rising from the earth on the solstice—"

Annabeth turned to Chiron. "Not Kronos. Please tell me it's not that."

The centaur looked miserable. He held Piper's wrist, checking her pulse. At last he said,

"It is not Kronos. That threat is ended. But ..." Chiron trailed off.

"But what?" Annabeth asked.

Chiron closed the medicine bag. "Piper needs rest. We should discuss this later."

"Or now," Jason said. "Sir, Mr. Chiron, you told me the greatest threat was coming. The last chapter. You can't possibly mean something worse than an army of Titans, right?"

"Oh," Rachel said in a small voice. "Oh, dear. The woman was Hera. Of course. Her cabin, her voice. She showed herself to Jason at the same moment."