37

╔═══════════════╗

╔═══════════════╗

37. Porphyrion

╚═══════════════╝

Before they charged into the battle, Lorna pulled Jason back. She kissed him straight on the lips. She figured that if she was going to die anyway, she should just take the risk.

"Good luck." She whispered and left Jason standing there, star struck.

A wolf launched itself at Lorna. She stabbed it and it dissolved. Lorna swung Tremor as it stabbed wolves, knocked them aside and plunged it straight into storm spirits.

Lorna could see Jason charging into battle, swinging his icy piece of wood, on a storm spirit horse. Every time it plowed through one of his brethren, it discharged so much electricity, the other spirit vaporized into a harmless cloud of mist. Piper was surrounded by Earthborn, but she seemed to be holding her own. She was so impressive-looking as she fought, almost glowing with beauty, that the Earthborn stared at her in awe, forgetting that they were supposed to kill her. They'd lower their clubs and watch dumbfounded as she smiled and charged them. They'd smile back—until she sliced them apart with her dagger, and they melted into mounds of mud. Leo had taken on Khione herself. While fighting a goddess should've been suicide, Leo was the right man for the job. She kept summoning ice daggers to throw at him, blasts of winter air, tornadoes of snow. Leo burned through all of it. His whole body flickered with red tongues of flame like he'd been doused with gasoline. He advanced on the goddess, using two silver-tipped ball-peen hammers to smash any monsters that got in his way.

Lorna realized that Leo was the only reason they were still alive. His fiery aura was heating up the whole courtyard, countering Khione's winter magic. Without him, they would've been frozen like the Hunters long ago. Wherever Leo went, ice melted off the stones. Even Thalia started to defrost a little when Leo stepped near her. Khione slowly backed away. Her expression went from enraged to shocked to slightly panicked as Leo got closer. Lorna was running out of enemies. Wolves lay in dazed heaps. Some slunk away into the ruins, yelping from their wounds. Piper stabbed the last Earthborn, who toppled to the ground in a pile of sludge. Jason rode his horse through the last ventus, breaking it into vapor. Jason turned towards Lorna and held his hand out. Lorna got on the horse and said, "Hi."

Hello, Lorna heard in her head. Tempest.

"Lorna." Lorna replied. Jason gave her a weird look. Then he wheeled around and saw Leo bearing down on the goddess of snow.

"You're too late," Khione snarled. "He's awake! And don't think you've won anything here, demigods. Hera's plan will never work. You'll be at each other's throats before you can ever stop us."

Leo set his hammers ablaze and threw them at the goddess, but she turned into snow—a white powdery image of herself. Leo's hammers slammed into the snow woman, breaking it into a steaming mound of mush. Piper was breathing hard, but she smiled up at Jason.