39

╔═══════════════╗

╔═══════════════╗

39. Past

╚═══════════════╝

Lorna didn't remember much about the rest of the night. They told their story and answered a million questions from the other campers, but finally Chiron saw how tired they were and ordered them to bed. It felt so good to sleep on a real mattress, and Lorna was so exhausted, she crashed immediately.

The next morning she woke in her bunk, feeling reinvigorated. The sun came through the windows along with a pleasant breeze. It might've been spring instead of winter. The familiar scent of the sea breeze entered her nose. She rubbed her eyes and made her way to Percy's bunk to wake him up, before realising he wasn't there. She sighed and got ready. Birds sang. Monsters howled in the woods. Breakfast smells wafted from the dining pavilion—bacon, pancakes, and all sorts of wonderful things.

As Lorna walked out of her cabin, she saw Piper. She caught up with her and told her, "You know that now, you can challenge Drew for her spot."

"Yes, but I might not win."

"Come on! You were so good with that knife. You fought like a menace. Do it."

"Really?" Piper asked.

"Heck yeah! Just trust me. Don't you want the Aphrodite cabin to be known for more than just being pretty and handsome?"

Piper smiled warmly and took her suggestion.

At the commons area, Lorna found Jason relaxing on a bench, a basketball between his feet. He was sweaty from working out, but he looked great in his orange tank top and shorts. His various scars and bruises from the quest were healing, thanks to some medical attention from the Apollo cabin. His arms and legs were well muscled and tan—distracting as always. His close-cropped blond hair caught the afternoon light so it looked like it was turning to gold, Midas style.

"Hey," he said.

She sat next to him and they watched the campers going back and forth. A couple of Demeter girls were playing tricks on two of the Apollo guys—making grass grow around their ankles as they shot baskets. Over at the camp store, the Hermes kids were putting up a sign that read: flying shoes, slightly used, 50% off today! Ares kids were lining their cabin with fresh barbed wire. The Hypnos cabin was snoring away. A normal day at camp. Meanwhile, the Aphrodite kids were watching Lorna and Jason, and trying to pretend they weren't. Lorna was pretty sure she saw money change hands, like they were placing bets on a kiss.

"Get any sleep?" she asked him.

He looked at her as if she'd been reading his thoughts. "Not much. Dreams."

"About your past?"

He nodded. She didn't push him. If he wanted to talk, that was fine, but she knew him better than to press the subject. Jason spun his basketball.

"It's not good news," he warned. "My memories aren't good for—for any of us."

Lorna was pretty sure he'd been about to say for us—as in the two of them, and she wondered if he'd remembered a girl from his past.

"Why not?" Lorna asked. Looking at the look on Jason face, she said "Never mind." She didn't let it bother her. Not on a sunny winter day like this, with Jason next to her.

"We'll figure it out," she promised. He looked at her hesitantly, like he wanted very much to believe her.

"Annabeth and Rachel are coming in for the meeting tonight. I should probably wait until then to explain . . . "

"Okay."

She plucked a blade of grass by her foot. She knew there were dangerous things in store for both of them. She would have to compete with Jason's past, and they might not even survive their war against the giants. But right now, they were both alive, and she was determined to enjoy this moment. Jason studied her warily. His forearm tattoo was faint blue in the sunlight.

"You're in a good mood. How can you be so sure things will work out?"

"Because you're going to lead us," she said simply. "I'd follow you anywhere."

Jason blinked. Then slowly, he smiled. "Dangerous thing to say."

"I'm a dangerous girl. I like taking risks."

"That, I believe." He got up and brushed off his shorts. He offered her a hand. "Leo says he's got something to show us out in the woods. You coming?"

"Wouldn't miss it." She took his hand and stood up. For a moment, they kept holding hands.

Jason tilted his head. "We should get going."

"Yep," she said. "Just a sec."

She let go of his hand, and took a card from her pocket —the silver calling card that Thalia had secretly given her for the Hunters of Artemis. She dropped it into a nearby eternal fire and watched it burn.

"Don't know why she still tries. Let's go," she told Jason. "We've got adventures to plan."