9: "But that's who you are, biologically."

Chapter 9: "But that's who you are, biologically."

The next morning, I woke up bright and early to get ready for my first day of school.

Charlie had given me a few sets of my uniform, after telling me to not worry about Elijah.

"He has an odd way of expressing his feelings," Charlie sympathetically said.

Bullshit.

Nevertheless, I had texted Tyler the night before, telling him I was enrolled in Beverly Lake.

He said that was "perfect", and told me to send him a message when I would get my schedule in the morning.

Perfect indeed!

I dressed in the school uniform, which consisted of a navy blue blazer, white button-up, blue tie, and checkered skirt with long knee-socks. I looked in my mirror and truly felt like an idiot.

I did my makeup and hair, before going downstairs.

We usually had breakfast at nine, as a "family", but since school started at 8:15, it was around 7:30 when the maids began serving me breakfast.

"Hey, kid. You ready for your first day?" Charlie asked, taking a seat at the dining table while holding a cup of coffee.

"Yeah, I think so," I answered, but truthfully, I wasn't so sure.

I had switched schools a decent amount of times growing up, due to the fact that we would move houses often. I never really had problems making new friends — except for the one time Liza got mad at me and had spread fake rumors that I had a bed-wetting problem. Even then, I had the "weird" outcast kids who would let me sit with them at lunch.

However, this time was so much more different. I was in a brand new continent! 

"You should leave soon," Charlie said, making me snap out of my thoughts. "The school is about ten minutes away. Rick will be taking you."

I stopped mid-bite.

"You're making me take a bodyguard to school?"

"Relax. He's just driving you. He won't be coming inside," Charlie assured me.

"Although, I personally think that he should be joining you in all of your classes."

I turned around to see Elijah standing behind us, with a smirk on his face.

I was about to fire insults at him, when Charlie interrupted.

"He's just joking, Maya."

I didn't think that the asshole had a sense of humor.

"Whatever. I'm done anyways," I muttered, standing up from my now empty plate.

"Hold on, little sister," Elijah called out.

"What now?" I groaned, sick of him and his continuous efforts to irritate me.

Elijah dropped the smirk and frowned.

"First of all, don't give me attitude. Secondly, remember the boy talk we had. If I have to, I'll send a bodyguard with you to each and every class to ensure you're steering away from the males."

"What happened to your home-schooling threat?" I challenged, earning a sigh from Charlie.

"Would that be more favorable?" Elijah shot back.

"For god's sake, you two!" Charlie intervened, playing the role of peacekeeper. "It's hardly eight in the morning and you're fighting like—"

"I'm fighting?" I interrupted.