16: "Every crime can be justified, little girl."

quick recap:

Val, being a real badass, has just slapped Elijahhhh. Dun Dun dun dun...what do you think is gonna happen??

Chapter 16: "Every crime can be justified, little girl."

I gaped at the scene as the bodyguards finally jumped to action, with their guns pointed at Val after the initial shock of what had just happened. 

She was one order away from getting shot.

The foyer was completely silent, as Elijah turned back to face Val. For a split second, he looked like he would kill Val himself, but then he broke into an unexpected smirk.

"You're lucky that I respect my mother enough not to return that slap," he gritted, before turning his attention to me.

I shivered.

Elijah took a step back and snapped his fingers.

"Drew and Leo, take Maya upstairs and stand guard outside her room," he ordered, and within a split second, two muscled bodyguards grabbed a hold of me on both sides and began pulling me up the stairs.

Out of the corner of my eye, I could see Val turning to Charlie and arguing with him. 

Elijah rolled his eyes and motioned for Jasper to follow him, as they walked off, away from the drama.

Me?

I tiredly let the guards pull me into the bedroom, knowing better than to fight with them.

They pushed me into the room and closed the door as they left, in silence. 

I collapsed on the bed, wishing I could just wake up to all of this being a big dream. 

I knew my brothers were in the crime business, but I didn't want them to be cold-blooded murderers.

I was finally getting used to them! In fact, I had become attached to Charlie over the month. Jasper had his moments, but I learnt to live with him too.

And I genuinely thought that maybe —just maybe — Elijah and I could work on the whole sibling thing.

Definitely not after today.

I got a text from Val saying she was sorry she couldn't help more, but that she gotten my phone number from Charlie and that I was to call her whenever I needed anything.

I didn't bother replying to her. Instead, I threw my phone to the other side of my bed, and let myself sink into my duvet and pillows. 

I let myself sleep, hoping that my time at the house could just be spent in my dreams.

I was awoken hours later by a timid knocking on my bedroom door. 

It was Marie, one of the housekeepers.

She gave me a feeble smile and put down a tray of food and water before turning around and leaving.

Great.

I didn't want to face my asshole brothers anyways.

I ate some of the food, but I truly didn't have an appetite. I wished I could just force the memories of today out of my head. 

I changed into comfortable pajamas before sliding back into my bed.

I wondered if my brother would just keep me locked in here.

I had to admit, I was surprised (and a little hurt) that not even Charlie had bothered to pay a visit.

Tyler had left a few missed calls, but I wasn't in the mood to call him back.