18: "Elijah DeMarlo is my older brother."

Chapter 18: "Elijah DeMarlo is my older brother."

The next morning, I found myself being rudely awakened by loud, rapid knocks against my bedroom door.

It took me a few moments to realize that this was not a part of my dream. 

"Wh-aat?" I angrily yelled, to which Charlie opened my door.

"You're lucky it was me and not Uncle Paul," he commented. 

He was already dressed in a crisp, black suit and looked as if he had been awake for hours. 

"What time is it?" I groaned, rubbing my eyes.

"Quarter past five. Get ready, we have to leave in half an hour."

"What?"

"Remember the business trip?"

"That was just a lie," I whined, feeling upset at this change of events.

"Only partially. I do have a business trip this morning, and I don't need Uncle Paul finding out that bringing you along was a lie. Just come in jeans and a sweater and bring your uniform with you," he ordered.

"Charlie, ple-ease! I'm tired!"

"You can sleep in the car. Or, I could tell Uncle that you've changed your mind and want to join his workout."

That successfully got me up and out of bed. 

I got ready within twenty minutes, and packed my uniform in a bag.

When I went downstairs, I saw that Charlie was patiently waiting for me. 

"Just in time. Uncle and Elijah are getting Jasper out of bed."

I shivered at the thought.

Working out at six in the morning? Ew.

Charlie led me to his Corvette, and I immediately rested my head on the window once we were seated.

"Who even has meetings this early?" I grumbled, as Charlie began to drive. 

"Early bird gets the worm, kid."

What a stupid quote. When you're looking at a mouse trap scenario, which mouse is successful eating the cheese — the first one or the second? Exactly. 

I kept my mouth shut, however, and allowed Charlie to drive in comfortable silence for a few more minutes until I just had to ask a question. 

"What's the meeting about?"

"Nothing special," my brother dismissed immediately. 

"Charlie, please! I just want to know more. It's not fair to keep me in the dark!" I complained, making my brother sigh.

"I'm meeting another businessman for breakfast, and he's going to make me a deal."

"What kind of deal?"

"A deal regarding some products," Charlie dryly answered, keeping his eyes glued to the road.

"What kind of products?"

"Adult products."

"Condoms?" I bewilderingly asked.

Charlie turned to frown at me.

"What? No! I meant products you're too young to have information on."

"Drugs?"

"Maya, no. Not drugs. Something illegal? Yes. That's all you're getting from me. Now, stop pestering me on this topic," Charlie sternly spoke.