25: "Closure."

Chapter 25: "Closure."

The weekend was uneventful, and I peacefully spent it playing with Benji.

Charlie loved him, and said he always wanted a dog but that our dad didn't like them. (It still felt strange to refer to him as "our" dad)

Elijah and Jasper stayed away as usual, minding their own business. Neither of them were a fan of Benji — but just like me, the little guy couldn't care less. 

When Monday came around, I had to sadly leave Benji behind as I went off to school. Maria promised she would watch over him and make sure he doesn't get in any type of trouble, which only made Elijah roll his eyes and scoff. 

When I arrived at school, I was immediately met with Priya, who looked immensely worried.

"Tyler's back today," she said, while chewing her lip in anxiousness. 

"That's nice," I said, nonchalantly. I really didn't care. 

"No, girl. There's more. He's—oh, shit. Don't turn around."

I obviously turned around.

This was the moment in which I saw Tyler walking down the hallway, sporting a faint purple bruise on the left side of his face, and warmly holding hands with Emily.

I have to admit, I felt a real pang of anger at the sight. Disgust, in fact. And maybe a little bit of hurt. 

Just a little. 

"Whatever," I sighed, tearing my gaze away from the new couple.

I didn't realize that it would make me so miserable to watch them. I didn't want to admit how miserable it was making me. 

At lunch, Emily was practically sitting in Tyler's lap. I think they looked ridiculous, and my kind friends agreed wholeheartedly, but it made me upset that he was able to move on so fast. Tyler didn't even bother passing me a glance throughout the school-day, but in all honestly, I should have seen that coming with the whole family-feud thing. 

The girls tried to cheer me up and distract me, which I appreciated, although their attempts were futile. At home, Benji tried his best to do the same. 

I thought I had gotten over Tyler, but the fact that I was jealous by him and Emily proved that I obviously wasn't. My own inability to get over this guy was potentially upsetting me the most. 

That same day, I was sitting in the dining room, eating a snack at the dining table after school with Benji snuggled by my feet. 

I paused the YouTube video I was watching when I heard Elijah talking on the phone. He was clearly unaware that I could hear him.

"Throw some water on his fucking face, I'm not done with him yet........No, he's not dead yet.....No.....I told you to keep him alive........Electrocute the son of a bitch.......Yeah, I'll come over in the evening and join the fun."

I quickly unpaused the video as Elijah ended the call and walked past the dining room.

He instantly walked back to look at me and raise an eyebrow in disbelief.

"Were you eavesdropping?"

"Not on purpose."

He gave me a dissatisfied look before walking away again.

"Wait! Who were you talking about?" I called out, making him stop and turn around.

Elijah looked me over for a few moments, as if he was contemplating what to say.