17: "Are you out of your mind?"

tw: small non-graphic mentions of suicide 

Chapter 17: "Are you out of your mind?"

In the dining room, Uncle Paul took my seat and I was forced to sit beside him, facing across Jasper.

I was surprised to see that even my youngest brother seemed to like our uncle, chatting him up like they were best buds. 

Uncle Paul tried engaging me in the conversation as well, much to my misery.

I politely responded and answered his questions, trying not to let on how annoyed I really was. 

He asked about everything — from my marks in my classes (which I told him were okay) to my hobbies and goals for the future. 

"Elijah, you need to give the girl some chores around the house. No need to spoil her, especially when she's going to be getting married and leaving the house anyways," Uncle Paul stated.

What the fuck?

I paused mid-bite, while Elijah's gaze fell upon me before returning to Uncle Paul.

"She's highly skilled, Uncle. When the time comes, she'll manage just fine on her own," he replied.

I was shocked to hear this mild flattery from Elijah.

He thought I was highly skilled?

Uncle Paul scoffed, bursting my bubble.

"Elijah, you boys can mark my words. Spoiling a girl only harms the family later on. My parents spoiled Amelia and she eloped with your father when she was twenty. You didn't forget that, did you?"

"No, Uncle. We haven't," Charlie spoke up, his tone laced with annoyance. "And don't worry. Maya is not spoiled."

Uncle Paul dismissed him, and changed the subject, as he turned to Jasper and asked him about his plans for work.

Elijah replied on his behalf, saying that Jasper  was doing online classes for his business degree and helping out with the family work. 

Just like that, lunch ended, and Elijah suggested that Uncle Paul join him for a drive.

"Why don't you come along, Maya?" Uncle Paul offered.

"No, thank you," I politely responded, but it didn't seem to make Uncle Paul too happy, as he raised an eyebrow at my reply. 

"She has homework to do," Charlie quickly added.

Our uncle nodded, his smile returning.

"Of course. Otherwise, Maya would surely know that it's rude to say no to your elders," he spoke, making sharp eye contact with me before turning to walk to Elijah, who was waiting for him at the door.

Elijah looked displeased with me as well, giving me a hard look before leaving out the door.

Charlie breathed out a sigh when the door finally closed.

"He's worse than Elijah!" I complained, making Charlie chuckle.

"He is strange, indeed. Dad never really liked him."

"Elijah does," I pointed out. 

To this, Charlie shrugged.

"I think Elijah wants to prove to Uncle Paul that Mom didn't make a mistake by staying with Dad. Uncle was quite hard on her when Dad got attacked and you were kidnapped."

"I don't like this Paul guy," I decided.

"He's not entirely bad, really. Even though he gave Mom a hard time, he still helped her while Dad was recovering. I suppose that's why Elijah respects him. Uncle came around even after Mom passed, so Jasper has a soft spot for him, as well."