26: "This is my life now."

Chapter 26: "This is my life now."

That morning, I woke up feeling determined.

I was determined in my mission to conquer the day and show everyone that I was not to be messed with.

In school, I didn't pay attention to Tyler and Emily.

They would pass by holding hands and spent the spare blocks kissing each other, but I ignored it all and focused on getting my work done. 

During lunch time, I purposely faced away from their table. 

If there was anything I knew, it was that I couldn't afford having my mental strength falter. 

After school, I had a quick snack, before Rick took me to Ms.Phillips' house for my second tutoring session. Apparently, Charlie was also just as determined for me to have a decent education. 

This time, we arrived earlier, and my elderly tutor was a bit less grumpy.

She still didn't waste a single second on anything that wasn't related to my school work. Whenever my eyes would start wandering off my paper, she would let out a "tsk" and bring my attention back to my Math questions.

Once the hour was over, just like last time, she ushered me out of her house. 

I couldn't understand why she acted like I was some type of hand grenade that would go off if I stayed in her house for a minute longer than our allotted hour. However, that would have to be a question for another day. 

When Rick brought me back to the house, Charlie was in the foyer, supposedly waiting for me.

He didn't smile.

"Have a quick meal. We'll leave in about half an hour," he tightly spoke.

I nodded, and he swiftly walked off, not having anything else to say to me.

I have to admit, Charlie was the last person I expected to treat me coldly. 

Nevertheless, I brushed off any feelings of hurt, had a salad, and then went back to the foyer to wait for my brother, beginning to feel just a little nervous.

Both Elijah and Charlie showed up, appearing as fresh and polished as ever. 

"Ready?" Charlie asked.

"Yes."

Elijah didn't say a word to me, and simply led us out to his black Bugatti. 

Charlie opened the door for me, and I sat in the backseat. My nerves immediately increased once Charlie took his seat and Elijah began driving.

This was really happening.

We drove for about twenty minutes, in complete silence. It didn't help my rising anxiety. 

It dawned on me that I had no clue what I actually wanted to talk about with my ex-father. 

What could I even say to him that wouldn't upset me?

We stopped temporarily at a large gate, where a guard nodded at Elijah as we drove in. 

I stared in wonder, as we approached a large building made of grey bricks. It was probably two-stories high and resembled a prison out of a Hollywood movie. 

"What is this place?" I asked, when we finally got out of the car and began walking to the entrance, Elijah leading once again.

"One of our personal prisons," Charlie answered, keeping his gaze locked in front.