You're so sweet to me

Chapter 8

Declan:

Ellie's head rests right in the middle of my chest, the rest of her sprawled out on top of me. Her hands curled pressing against her reddened cheek, and her light silky hair fell in loose waves down her back.

As she sleeps, I study her with captivation. My hands draw shapes against her delicate skin. Even in her sleep, her breathing picks up from my touch, a slight increase in her chest, and a twitch of her pink lips.

Bursts of adoration take over my senses, the emotion remarkably distinct.

A smile quirks on the corners of my lips. How Ellie is so beautiful I still can't understand. But she is and that's just how it is.

Her small body begins to tremble against my own, her hands slowly tighten as quiet murmurs fall from her lips. Her face contorts in pain, her eyebrows furrowing as her lips twist. She's having a nightmare...another one. "No." She suddenly whimpers. "Help him." She cries.

"Ellie," I call, gently shaking her. I need to wake her up. "Ellie, wake up," I say again, alarm seeping into my tone.

"Please." She whimpers again.

Her body shifts, but still she does not wake up. A tear escapes her closed eye, and my chest tightens. "Ellie," I repeat louder, shaking her. Her body stills. "Open your eyes baby."

Her blue eyes flutter open, squinting. "D-Declan?" She stutters.

"I'm right here." I murmur, pulling her up on my lap to sit upright. She scoots in closer, her eyes red and puffy. "I'm right here," I say again.

She shivers, more tears falling from her eyes. "D-D-Declan, I-I—." She chokes into my shirt.

I hold her against me tight, she needs to know I'm here. "Shhh, it's okay." I coo, running my fingers through her soft hair. Her tears slide down my chest as she cries and hiccups against me. I feel completely helpless, she doesn't deserve these bad dreams.

"I love you." I coo to my baby. "I love you, I love you, I love you."

Ellie wasn't a good sleeper, some nights she stayed up for hours on end because her brain wasn't ready to sleep. Once in awhile she had nightmares like this one and woke up terrified by how real they seemed. But then there were nights where she cuddled into me and just passed out. Every night was different.

Soon enough her hiccups lessen and her salty tears subside. Her small fists hold my shirt tight. I lower my chin and kiss her forehead, she peeks up at me with her swollen eyes. Gently, I plant kisses along her nose, the corners of her lips, the apples of her cheeks, and lastly her jaw.

Her glossy lips simper into a small smile, even when she cried she still looked so beautiful. "You're so sweet to me." She whispers.

I brush my hand along her tear-stained cheek. "Well, you are my baby." She looks down, cheeks awfully flushed. "D."

"Ellie," I say back.

She sighs softly, then raises her hands and rubs her puffy eyes. A small hiccup falls from her lips, the nightmare still affecting her. My eyes narrow in on her right hand, her knuckles just beginning to bruise. What the hell is that from?

I take her right hand and pull it towards my face, examining the bruise. "What's this from?" I ask.

She pulls her hand back, so I let her. "I-I fell." She says nervously. My eyes lift to her face. She fell? When did she fall? Why is she nervous? "You fell?"

"Y-Yeah." She whispers, not meeting my eyes.

"How?" I question.

She bites her bottom lip, her hands fiddling. Is she lying? Because it sure as hell seems like it. "You didn't fall," I state, calling her out.