I'm a genius, right

Chapter 18

Ella:

My eyes watch with precision as Declan's jaw drops, as his hand that is holding onto me falls slack, and as his chest becomes rapid movements of up and down irregular ticks. I watch as the control he sustains so well falters in the glint of his distinctive green eyes, like a candle whose flame has dulled. Between the two of us, it's like we're being pushed farther and farther behind a brick wall and no matter how hard we try to push back, our efforts are defective.

We push and because of it we are thrown to the cold hard ground, and each time this happens it is far more worse than the last. All these problems keep scrounging up, my mom crying and yelling, Declan's still unknown fight, my fight, and now Hayes too. We're in a downwards spiral that recently seems to be popping up left and right tearing us apart at the seams which could potentially shred completely at any minute.

"That's right 'that fucking cunt'. You know what? That has a nice ring to it," Wes replies repeating Declan's foul words. "A little viscous, like a tiger, or maybe a lion, whichever is more feisty. Very fitting if you ask me."

Declan's knuckles turn white as he grips the electronic device in a death-like grip. "You can shut the fuck up right now or I can do it for you. Choose." Declan's voice comes out smooth as silk but sharp as razor blades. Jokes weren't Declan's method of coping when he felt out of control, but that's how Wes was, always trying to lighten the mood to get rid of the weight of the current situation. In a way, Wes was kind of special like that.

"How can you shut me up if I'm not even near you?" Wes counters which makes my lips twitch. He really likes to push buttons, especially Declan's even now. "We're on the phone silly billy, you see the rectangular object thing in your hand, that's how we're communicating. Which means no harm done on either end." His voice comes out both persuading and proud.

Declan's eyes connect with mine, lips fighting to stay put but failing as they quirk upward ever so slightly. From that look, I know he's got his comeback ready, he never not has one. "Keep talking Wesley because when I see you, it will be the last time you ever see your fist on your hand instead of shoved so fucking far down your throat you'll be choking." The threat falls so easily from lips that kiss mine with such softness.

For just a moment, a quick short moment, the bickering between the two best friends who love each other like brothers brings some normality to the fudged up reality of right now. But in a blink that normality is gone and the heaviness appears once again in our chests and on our shoulders. You can't ever really block anything out because sooner or later it will come back, you'll always know it's still there just a thought away.

"I'll shut up now as long as you promise to keep my precious hand intact and out of my throat," Wes responds emphasizing the word promise as if he believed Declan would go through with the threat. "You should save all that glorious strength for someone more suitable like *cough* *Hayes* *cough*. I know I'm a genius, right?"

Declan grinds his teeth undoubtedly irritated with Wes for not being serious while at the same time bringing his phone down in front of him and hitting the big red button ending the call. He's not angry with Wes, he's just angry in general due to our oh so good luck. For a brief second, we sit silently, me in his lap, him tracing shapes down my arm surfacing goosebumps here in the school parking lot.

What are we going to do? How am I going to be able to function like a normal human being knowing Hayes is near, knowing my kidnapper is near? What about that stupid fight that I took part in, I hit someone, engaged in hurting someone, and couldn't even stop myself. Rumors are going to spread like wildfire, variations of stories that aren't even true. Fights in our school never go unheard, everyone knows about them.